Its time for me to come clean about the trailer...

For general discussion and questions about "Wolf"

Moderator:Nouska

fastenjaw
Wolf Animation Challenge Participant
November Challenge Goal:180
November Challenge Type:frames
November Challenge Progress:0
Its time for me to come clean about the trailer...

Post by fastenjaw » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:42 am

Hey guys. I've been away for a little bit, but now I'm back. Now there is a reason why I left for some time. I've been on the ropes about a certain decision that had been made shortly before my departure. I believe what was said was that the trailer would not be revised or polished further. So I decided to speak out about why this decision bugged me so much.

First off, the choice to abandon the trailer really stumped me. As far as I was concerned, the trailer was not complete. The colors are off in the backgrounds, lighting is funky in other scenes, characters float in some segments, and animations are still at what I would consider a rough state. Character models are also inconsistent from one scene to the next.

All this was only the tip of the iceberg though. There was something else missing from the trailer. Something much more important. I couldn't figure out what it was until I started seeing other shorts made by other artists. And after seeing them, I came to a conclusion. The trailer is mediocre......

:o.O: Huh? What? Why? Is what some will think. Others would probably just get really uptight at my conclusion saying the trailer is a labor of love and hard work. But the truth is the trailer doesn't move me. It doesn't awe me. It doesn't leave me savoring for more! It is lacking feeling. There is no real powerful message left in my mind.

When I see a very well made trailer that moved me, all I can think of is wow. And shortly after, I'm usually digging around for anything else I could possibly find about it. But when I see the wolfmovie trailer, all I can think of is "It's alright."...

That just doesn't cut it. They say your first impression is the most important decision you can ever make. While the trailer is a wip made to show a progressive development of the film, it still fails to deliver a powerful message. Whatever the message may be is up to you. But please don't abandon the trailer. I'm a firm believer that if you want to gain more attention (And ultimately more volunteers), you need to really inspire and captivate your audience.

Fastenjaw
"Jax... I just realized.. your a DUDE!" I was like "Man this chick is masculine!"

~Kay Fedewa

"Man I want some Shoes of Peace. Then I could really kick some arse."

~Uzuri

Stygian
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal:0

Re: Its time for me to come clean about the trailer...

Post by Stygian » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:19 am

Hey fastenjaw, it's nice to see you again ^^

You're right, the trailer isn't necessarily complete. It suffers from many flaws and that is because it was the first scene we'd ever worked on. But by no means have we abandoned it, and trust me we know that it isn't perfect. Personally, from my point of view of the whole process, things were rushed because of the deadline we had set, and as a result some of the work produced could have been much better. I also totally agree that it doesn't move me (except it kind of did, but only because I'd put a lot of hard work into it alongside everyone else ^^) but I think it's important to remember that we chose to do Scene 2 first because it was a simple, easy scene with nothing to give away the story. Once we've animated more scenes, we can start to compile a real trailer from more emotional, important scenes that perhaps will intrigue viewers more and provoke a bit more emotion.

After the rough cut was released, there was a lot of talk about how we could improve our process, and we got a lot stricter on making sure people were on model, and making sure people didn't use short cuts so that our animation now ends up looking better and smoother. Obviously I can't reveal or show what we've done since scene 2, but I honestly believe it's a much better quality and I hope that when it's released, people will see that we've grown and improved a lot. By no means are we going to leave scene 2 how it is - eventually we are going to return to it, change and improve it. It was a learning curve for all of us, for every part of the process and we've all come out the other side very much improved artists, animators, inkers, colorists etc. and although we can't yet prove it, I hope that when we can you'll maybe regain some faith in us =)

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress:1

Post by SilverLuna » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Yea, what Styg said. We won't post the final-final one, which would be just to DVD. Like the comments said, it's our rough-cut and needs to be reefined ;) Which is why we accept critique, so that we know WHAT to refine darn it! xD

And good to see you around again! :D
I'm a colorist for "Wolf" cuz it's sooooo much FUN!!!!

x.Tarkah.x
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal:0

Post by x.Tarkah.x » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm

i think we undermined it by calling it a "trailer" when it was more of a clip or snippet of a rough cut.

Rather it should be named as a sneakpeak rather than a movie trailer.

It really doesn't fit as a movie trailer when you think of what a trailer includes.
Though rest assured once we produce trailer worthy scenes, you'll prob see that it will be much different when compared to this rough cut.
xX. Ride upon the wings of Freedom.Xx

www.tarkahvarg.deviantart.com

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress:180
Location:In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:16 pm

If you'll notice, it was never officially called a trailer. I don't know why people decided that's what it was.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

fastenjaw
Wolf Animation Challenge Participant

Post by fastenjaw » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:02 pm

First off a major thanks to Styg! :) Somewhere in the back of my mind I had felt it was more of an experimentation and a tool for learning as opposed to being an actual trailer. That would explain why it isn't a collage of various pieces placed together from the film. It also explains why it lacked the grabber element I felt was missing when I first saw it. So yea my faith is coming back now that I know. :wink2:

To Uzuri, The scene was called a trailer from as long as I can remember. Though it wasn't called an official trailer, I still took it as one, and as a result, put it to a much higher standard than I should. Also perhaps mediocre isn't really the best word I should have used. It was good. but not spectacular like I was expecting.

It is nice to hear that you have not abandoned it. I had viewed it as a sort of progress meter to visually see how the film was progressing. That is why I was bothered when it was said that no improvements would be done to it. I would be left guessing how the film was coming along without being able to see anything else. But I did remember that there was mention for other material to be released to show the progress of the film. So it will be interesting to see what that will be.

Now you can start experimenting with those really complex scenes where the camera is moving in odd angles and the scene needs to be redrawn every frame! All while the characters and several particle effects moves through it... :razz2: Hey does this mean all the "trailer" labels need to be updated to sneekpeeks instead?

Fastenjaw
"Jax... I just realized.. your a DUDE!" I was like "Man this chick is masculine!"

~Kay Fedewa

"Man I want some Shoes of Peace. Then I could really kick some arse."

~Uzuri

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Post by ecco » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 am

theres not a lot more that i can add to this apart from getting picky about words. XD

technically speaking, its a teaser. or teaser trailer, yes. but either way, that means it is literally a snippet for people to have a look over but it is in no way supposed to give away the story or yet get people excited for a release (not for something so unknown as this project, anyway.) cos the release is definitely still a long way off.

but, to be REALLY fussy, and i am going to be, the video on youtube is named "Scene 2, Rough cut". Rough meaning unfinished. meaning it still needs changes made to it. To be honest i dont even remember anyone saying that we were'nt going to go back to it? unless i was away when that happened. xD

anyway, it's nice to see you around again Fastenjaw :) and thanks for your comments. but ya, rest assured that scene will be improved upon ^^

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal:100
November Challenge Type:Character model - Luna

Post by Koeyohte » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:23 am

Hey fastenjaw :)

I actually do agree with you - my immediate reaction was "Cool, that's it!!! =D " but after having seen more of the project, I did realise it was kind of... OK ^^ It *was* the test scene though, so any who worked on it knew it wouldn't be as well as we all hope the rest of it will be.

Some others who I have talked to about it also said that it lacks much of a centered feeling... but then it is one scene, not an actual trailer :) Hopefully something newer and better will arrive once there is more to the film :)

~Koey
Tumblr - http://koeyohte.tumblr.com/
Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamWolfCraf ... _shop_menu
DeviantART - koeyohte.deviantart.com