Moderator:Nouska

fastenjaw
Wolf Animation Challenge Participant
November Challenge Goal:180
November Challenge Type:frames
November Challenge Progress:0
Making the movie feel epic...

Post by fastenjaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:32 am

After seeing the trailer Tales from Earthsea and rewatching the Tarboy short, I have started to wonder about Wolf. I began to ask myself what will it have that is truly inspiring. What will it have that will go beyond being just a good story? How will it captivate us? More importantly, how will it make us feel? Will it depend on being bold and outlandish? Or will it work a different magic by being more subtle and beautiful? And how will those special effects be used, if any, to bring the story to life?

I'm pretty sure you asked these questions during the script writing process. The reason why I'm asking them is because I'd like to gain some insight as to how the story will be brought to life. Not so much that it gets spoiled. But enough to know that it will be something that will keep us hooked every step of the way from the beginning to the end. Since the goal is to convey the real animal that is the wolf, something has to be done to keep it interesting. Real wolves, as cool and beautiful as they can be, don't really do much.
"Jax... I just realized.. your a DUDE!" I was like "Man this chick is masculine!"

~Kay Fedewa

"Man I want some Shoes of Peace. Then I could really kick some arse."

~Uzuri

Stygian
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal:0

Re: Making the movie feel epic...

Post by Stygian » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 am

I can't answer this personally, but I can tell you that I have read the script a fair few times and every time I do I cannot stop halfway through. I have to read on until the end, even though I know what happens. I can't explain it partly because I'm not story-savvy nor was I here when the script was written. But I really think that the final film will be exactly the same for me.

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress:180
Location:In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:57 am

This really can't be answered without spoiling.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Marji4x
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Marji4x » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 pm

I do feel I can say that there isn't any sort of avant-garde artsy stuff in the movie. It's pretty classic storytelling, made by folks who are learning and loving animation and American animated film.

Dunno if that helps your expectations any :)
Uzuri wrote:*gives Marj village idiot hat*
It's official!!!! >:D

fastenjaw

Post by fastenjaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Uzuri wrote:This really can't be answered without spoiling.
Well not exactly. It depends on what you talk about and how much you generalize. If, for example, I were to say that there is going to be alot of crazy twists and surprise turns, you have no idea what those twists and turns are. It is a very broad statement. What it does do is give just enough info to get more people wondering.
Marji4x wrote:I do feel I can say that there isn't any sort of avant-garde artsy stuff in the movie. It's pretty classic storytelling, made by folks who are learning and loving animation and American animated film.

Dunno if that helps your expectations any :)
Actually it did help. The impression I'm getting is that of a Pocahontas Esque kind of experience. Minus the musical scores of course. I am a fan of the traditional stuff simply because it feels like there is alot more quality in them. You have to be good in order to draw the characters on model with every frame. It is alot harder than it looks! With 3D, you can put a group of people in a computer room who have never put pencil to paper. And since they have no solid understanding of the basics, they animate the models poorly. Hence the reason why there is such a flood of bad CGI. Everyone does what Pixar doesn't. And that was summarized in one of their interviews. They said something like "We don't go up to a computer and tell it 'Computer! Make movie!'" He ( I forgot who the interview was on) goes on to say all the work that takes to make the magic work.
"Jax... I just realized.. your a DUDE!" I was like "Man this chick is masculine!"

~Kay Fedewa

~Uzuri

fastenjaw

Post by fastenjaw » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 am

Hmm.... Maybe I should reconsider what I'm asking. I just found out Pixar canceled their Newt film. While the reason may have nothing to do with their synopsis being vandalized, some did make that connection to an upcoming film called Rio. Both have strikingly similar plot lines.

The reason why I'd like to know more about the film is because I care about Wolf. I want to see it succeed just as much as everyone else. I guess I'm kinda worried that it might not be a home run when we get it. The more I think about it, the less I should be expecting an answer. Instead I should be asking you guys if you are ultimately happy with the impact of the film. If you feel you have conveyed the story effectively, if you feel you have breathed real magic to the characters, and that what you have is a masterpiece that is both deeply moving and memorable, then that is all I need to know. So how do you really feel about the film? (Again this doesn't need to be answered.)

Fastenjaw

~Kay Fedewa

~Uzuri

Mfuwe
Voice Talent
Voice Talent

Post by Mfuwe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 am

Personally, I like Wolf a lot better than Pocahontas. :)

And I don't know whether or not this will reassure you, but I really put my heart and soul into Janus. Every role I've taken has meaning to me, but Janus is truly special. So when you finally see him up there on the screen, he's 100% for real.
Whether you think you can, or whether you think can't, you are right.

~Mfuwe

fastenjaw

Post by fastenjaw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks Mfuwe. :) The fact you care so passionately about your role as Janus has to be a sign of good things to come.

~Kay Fedewa

~Uzuri

Fellus
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Fellus » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Pocahontas isn't a very good film. I should very much hope Wolf is better! (and believe it will be, because it has heart, rather than being a creativity crushed committee-driven film).