Moderator: Maria

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal: 100
November Challenge Type: Character model - Luna
November Challenge Progress: 0

Know of any good Soundtracks?

Post by Koeyohte » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 am

Well, I'm just wondering who knows of any really greta soundtracks (film soundtracks).

The three I currently have are LotRings (RotKing), PotCaribbean and The Golden Compass. I'm looking for stuff mostly like this... not musicals, etc. ;)

I've been hopiing to get the balto soundtrack, but it looks as if that's going to be pretty impossible :(

Any others you know of, and want to share? :cheese:

~Koey
Tumblr - http://koeyohte.tumblr.com/
Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamWolfCraf ... _shop_menu
DeviantART - koeyohte.deviantart.com

Mfuwe
Voice Talent
Voice Talent
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames

Post by Mfuwe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm a big-time soundtrack fan (it's my favorite genre, though a lot of people think that's wierd for some reason). Soundtrack music is also the category that most of my musical compositions fall under as well.

I've got a few suggestions for you that I think you'll enjoy:

Blood Diamond Original Soundtrack
Composer: James Newton Howard
This is a great soundtrack because it has such a diverse range of moods: from great action themes with lots of drums and brass to soft, moving strings and piano. There's also a good amount of ethnic sounds (marimba, drums, etc.) that are very nice. Think The Lion King meets Gladiator.

Hook
Composer: John Williams
John Williams has always been a master of character themes, and this is simply his best. This soundtrack has the most beautiful, tear-inducing flute solo ever (in the track "You Are The Pan"). Other tracks that are my favorite include "Presenting The Hook" (an awesome march that will stick in your head for a long time) and "The Never-Feast" (which is a fun, Christmas-y sounding song).

Jurassic Park
Composer: John Williams
I consider Jurassic Park (1993) to be John Williams' last great score. The theme when the helicopter is approaching the island ("Welcome to Jurassic Park") is superbly triumphant, while the music where the visitors see their first Brachiosaurus is tender and soft before it builds into an awesome sense of wonder.

Batman Returns
Composer: Danny Elfman
You're probably wondering: what the heck? But no, Batman Returns is simply Danny Elfman's greatest, darkest orchestral work ever. He puts both orchestra and choral work to it's best, with appropriately dark themes that are trademark for Elfman. The themes for Catwoman and The Penguin are both memorable and appropriate for their respective characters. Plus, you got the original Batman theme!

Check these out. Most of these are avaiable in iTunes, and if not, then you can get them from Amazon.
Whether you think you can, or whether you think can't, you are right.

~Mfuwe

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff

Post by Koeyohte » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:52 pm

Woah, thanks!! I'll look for them at my Library, they have soundtracks etc. there :) "Hook" sounds the most interesting ^^ I do have the Jurassic Park Suite, it's very good :) Thanks so much! I'll try and get all of them ;) If possible :cheese:

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 1

Post by SilverLuna » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:57 pm

There's National Tresure, by..oh I forget, but i LOVE that soudtrack.
I'm a colorist for "Wolf" cuz it's sooooo much FUN!!!!

Mfuwe
Voice Talent
Voice Talent

Post by Mfuwe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Hey, no problem. It's rare that I can commend my favorite genre without getting wierd stares. ;p

Most people don't even know what I'm talking about when I discuss movie music. For instance, after I see a film with friends, we'll all be talking about favorite scenes, or memorable lines, and then I'll say: "I really liked the music in (so-and-so) part", and they'll just give me an awkward look. And I'll be like: "yeah, so how about them special effects?" :D

I've managed to teach my fiancee how to recognize film music, somewhat. She now knows some of my favorite composers (her favorite is Danny Elfman for "The Nightmare Before Christmas").

~Mfuwe

Maria
Alpha

Post by Maria » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 pm

You bet... O Brother Where Art Thou? This soundtrack really opened my eyes to bluegrass music and the blues. Plus it's a great movie... very funny. Go pick up the DVD and see for yourself!

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:05 pm

There's Lady in the Water by James Howard Newton!

Raptor
Alpha

Post by Raptor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Which PoTC album do you have? I like the Last one the best :)

If you love the style of Hans Zimmer (epic stuff) How can you now listen to..

The Lion King (the score part) its a pity Disney butchered it on their CD and only included a measly few minutes of it. If you go some google work you can find the bootleg edition of the complete Lion King score which is like watching the movie via a soundtrack :)

The Prince of Egypt has some great instrumental works namely "The Burning Bush" most of the album is musical kinda style which you wont want though.

His soundtrack for Gladiator is another prime example of sonic storytelling.

If you REALLY like Hans Zimmer (as I do can you tell? :razz: ) he his this album called The Wings Of a Film which is an except of live performances he did during a film festival.

If you can get your hands on one( its super rare now cause it was only a limited run) Transformers : The Score NOT the OST, is another epic one. It was composed by Steve Jablonsky who incidentally is a student of Hans :D

OK on to other composers..

Dances With Wolves is a great soundtrack from another renowned composer John Barry. The music really can make you feel the peaceful landscape and the action as well. My fav track is the ever famous John Dunbar Theme.

If you like action /military styled soundtracks try works by Harry Gregson Willaims. He likes to use catchy percussions and drums in his works. I love his work on Chronicles of Narnia.

There is also Micheal Kamen who did the score of Band Of Brothers. I highly recommend you give a listen to Suite 2. Its 9 minutes long but so worth it.

For my last 2 recommendations these are not film score composers the the style might be something you like.

Epicon by Globus. Globus aka Yoav Goren is co-founder of Immediate Music and they compose shot but highly chrged pieces for film trailers. What he did was take some of this best works, mash them together and add some rock into a few :) Very enjoyable album. There are some samples up on youtube, just search for epicon or globus. The first track Preliator will definitely grab your attention.

Yoshiki got his fame as the Pianist/Drummer/Composer for a J-rock/Visual kei group called X-Japan. He was actually a classically trained pianist and avid drummer before joining the group. His style of music led him to compose many epic rock ballads namely Endless Rain, Tears and Forever Love. He did go back to indulge his classical roots and a few of those rock songs were transcribed into beautiful orchestral works in 2 albums, Eternal Melody 1 and 2. Both albums contain classicised(dont think theres such a term) versions of X-Japan songs as well as a few new compositions. I personally prefer the second album and am triyng to get his concert DVD with the Tokyo Philharmonic.

Phew thats a long post but hope you read all that :razz2: if you cant find samples online for anything you read in my post drop me a PM and i'll hook you up to some excepts. (Eternal melody samples are hard to come by i know)

Mfuwe
Voice Talent
Voice Talent

Post by Mfuwe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:40 pm

Hans Zimmer! He's one of my personal favs, up there with John Williams, James Horner, and Mark Mancina.

I actually have the Lion King Expanded Soundtrack. It's basically the music of the entire film, from first sunrise to Simba and Nala's cub opening its eyes. There are some audio problems (the songs sound a bit slowed down, and there is some scratchiness), but it's still awesome.

Anyway, here are a few more throwouts for ya, since I can't resist:

The Mummy (only the first one)
Jerry Goldsmith

Braveheart
James Horner

The Thin Red Line
Hans Zimmer (I only like the native chants)

Man, I could keep going and going, but I think you've got a lot of options now, Koe. ;)

~Mfuwe

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff

Post by Koeyohte » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 pm

EDIT Forgot to say... I have TLKing on a tape, and it sounds fine... maybe it had something to do with copying it onto a disc that got a bit messed up. Weird....

MFue: I'm the same way. I can't talk about orchestra ot soundtracks with anyone I actually "talk" to, even when I do. Or rat, for that matter :( At least, not with peole I see every week, but at least we "meet" people on forums and the like, who we can actually talk to :)

WOW :o.O: Thanks sooo much everyone!!! :love:

I'm on iTune sloking all these up, so I'll try and get back before next month! XD

I have PotC Curse of the Balck Pearl... I have heard samples of the second, but haven't bought it.

Lots and lots of great options here, thanks everyone!!!!

~Koey
Last edited by Koeyohte on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:42 pm

For the Balto soundtrack, you can just search for "Readh for the Light", and that's the main song......XD :wink2:

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff

Post by Koeyohte » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:59 pm

Yeah, but I can't buy the whole thing XD I can just hear samples... BS had a whole list of the majority of the tracks you could listen to, but something happened and it's been taken down. :( I just can't get a hold of the real thing.

Raptor
Alpha

Post by Raptor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:32 am

@mufe I edited out the slowness in my set so it sounds 'normal' now. mm James Horner yea missed out that one.. we need to exchange lists hehe..

@Koeyohte the disney one is only like 15mins worth, the expanded one is about 70 mins of pure soundtrack hehe.. I think weve given you about 30 hours worth of music to listen to...

Mfuwe
Voice Talent
Voice Talent

Post by Mfuwe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:59 am

Raptor: Seriously, we need to exchange lists. You know, The Lion King single-handedly inspired my desire to compose music. It's just freakin' awesome. I don't care that some people say Hans Zimmer is derivative of classical composers. He does some great stuff. Besides, who isn't ripping off someone else nowadays?

I'll toss two more soundtracks in for good measure:

Twister
Composer: Mark Mancina
This is one of those great, under-the-radar soundtracks that is easily forgotten. It's got that epic, Hans Zimmer feel, but it's got a unique country farm sound with some electric guitar in the action cues. Very nice.

Stargate
Composer: David Arnold
They actually used the main Stargate theme in a lot of movie trailers in the '90s, such as the preview for Dragonheart. In general, the score has a very sinister, dark tone (especially the theme for Ra), but it gets very epic and hopeful for the action and good guy themes, respectively.

~Mfuwe

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:10 am

There's Dragonheart I think has a soundtrack,... :)