Recommend a Soundtrack

To discuss music!

Moderator: Maria

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Recommend a Soundtrack

Post by ecco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:41 pm

okay, so... i love soundtracks. yet at the moment i only own one, which is the Lost Odyssey soundtrack (an xbox 360 game, composed by Nobuo Uematsu - you know, the one that composed all the final fantasy games up to 10)

on my wishlist would naturally be the final fantasy piano collections or something similar

as well as Eternal Sonata, a game with music (and storyline) based on Chopin's music.

games aside, mostly im interested in film soundtracks of course. I intend to get my hands on:
UP
WALL*E
Shaun of the Dead
Donnie Darko
Pirates of the Caribbean

and possibely the TV show LOST...

any other recommendations? ^^

Stygian
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Progress: 0

Re: Recommend a Soundtrack

Post by Stygian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Ooh I haven't played Lost Odyssey in ages (got stuck when you gain control of the boat thingy, didn't have a clue what I had to do!) but geez that game was amazingly inspiring, both story-wise and soundtrack-wise.

A couple of other soundtracks that really inspire me are the Chronicles of Narnia, I am not a big fan of female singers but Regina Spektor on the second film gets me every time ;)

Brother Bear and The Lion King, of course!

I also have the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack which won numerous awards but I think it only works if you loved the film, which, I did. x3 Admittedly not all the songs are brilliant but the ones that are are sure worth it. "Jai Ho" is fantastic, ignore the Pussycat Dolls version, the original is pure genius.

I think I should invest in more soundtracks. They really inspire me xD

KanuTGL
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 110

Post by KanuTGL » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Ooh, I love film soundtracks too! I shall keep an eye on this thread =P

Soo, soundtracks... Hmm, yes, The Lion King, Brother Bear and Narnia definitely! The other ones I can think of right now are:

- The Rock (Hans Zimmer)
- The Time Machine (Klaus Badelt)
- The Prince of Egypt (Hans Zimmer, for the score)
- The Road to ElDorado (Hans Zimmer, for the score, again :P)

One film soundtrack I really, really would like to get my hands on is The Power of One that was composed by Zimmer and Lebo M (same people who made the music in TLK!). Anyone know where I could find it for a cheap price? xD I know they have it on Amazon, but they tend to be pretty pricey there :/
http://kanutgl.deviantart.com
---

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Post by ecco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Styg; brilliant game, isnt it? ive only ever cried over 2 games, Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy 7, funnily enough written and composed by the same people. shows they know what theyre doing huh!

Kanu; is that the original time machine or the remake? cos i LOVE the original and refuse to watch the remake XD (i saw 5 minutes of it once and was disgusted haha)

Brother Bear and TLK tho, good idea. I have a few of the songs from them already, but an OST would be better of course. I also adore the road to el dorado so i shall give that a listen :P

Spirit is another good one by Hans Zimmer and Bryan Adams of course xD

and jeez, the songs on Slumdog Millionaire are awesome. definitely will give that one a go.

...i need to earn more money xD ill have loads of extra hours over november/december, but im trying to save for a trip to japan as well soooo.... gonna have to ask for more hours +facedesk+

Stygian
Emeritus Staff

Post by Stygian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:59 pm

yeah it made me cry in a couple of places and I didn't even finish the whole thing! Kaim's "memories" were the best. I'd love to go back and perhaps start from the beginning again, since I can't even remember half the story. I think I'd need a walkthrough though, Square Enix don't half make complicated games!

Back on topic I thought of another; Apocalypse Now.

Atlas
Pack Member

Post by Atlas » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 pm

The Last Samurai by Hans Zimmer is pretty cool. That and Gladiator.

Although I would not necessarily "recommend" the album, I like the "blaster beam" instrument Goldsmith used in the Star Trek Motion Picture soundtrack.

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Post by ecco » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 am

Lost Odyssey isnt by Square Enix? as far as i remember haha. but no i get whatcha mean. i got up to somewhere in disc 3, then had to stop playing cos we had to put the 360 back to a TV thats reeeeal small, so i couldnt read ANY of the text in the game >.> i would like to start it again though.

Seems like Hans Zimmer is proving a popular choice :P gahhh. i wish i had the money for all these xD or rather, money i was willing to part with hahaha.

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:47 am

I have quite a number of soundtracks (mostly Disney, from before I started boycotting them):

Aladdin
All Dogs Go To Heaven 2
The Aristocats
Atlantis
Beauty and the Beast
Brother Bear
Caspar
Cats and Dogs
Dinosaur
Hercules
The Lion King (and all related soundtracks/derivatives)
Lady and the Tramp
The Little Mermaid
Merry Poppins
Mulan
Oh Brother Where Art Thou
Oliver and Company
Spirit
Tarzan
Toy Story/Toy Story 2
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Post by ecco » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:55 am

ahh, i love O Brother Where Art Thou XD such a great film!

and man thats a lotta disney albums :P i have a "greatest hits" type Disney CD, but theyre mostly covers of the actual songs which is kinda weird o-o;

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Yeah, I have one of those too. They're rather awful XD

It's very rare that covers that they add to the end of the CDs are better than (or even as good as) the in-movie version. Usually they're only better/as good if they have extended lyrics, and then it's the lyric value rather than anything the singer puts into it.

(Though I kinda like the Heather Headley version of "Love With Find a Way", but she just has such a kick-arse Broadway voice)
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Stygian
Emeritus Staff

Post by Stygian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Oooh Oliver and Company is a great one. I watched that film the other day and got goosebumps, as well as the biggest sense of nostalgia ever; those songs will always remind me of my childhood. <3

KanuTGL
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress: 110

Post by KanuTGL » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:18 pm

There are two versions of The Time Machine? I've only seen one of them then, so I wouldn't know what version of the soundtrack I have... xD

Aand I just thought of another one: Balto! :D That is one of my all-time favourites... Can't believe I forgot to post it before. And just about all the ones Uzuri posted are great too :cheese:
http://kanutgl.deviantart.com
---

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Post by ecco » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:22 pm

oh man XD well i hope its the old version! much better than the new one. well, the film anyway, i wouldnt know about the soundtrack haha.

hmmm oliver and company i thought was pretty good when i finally saw it, but the weird thing is i grew up on everything Disney except all their films from the 80's XD because my mum thought they were crap, so she never bought the videos XD i grew up on all their 90's released (obviously) and all of the older stuff like Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp etc. to this day i still havent even seen The Rescuers XD

Stygian
Emeritus Staff

Post by Stygian » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Strangely my mum claims that we had it on VHS, but I never recalled watching The Rescuers either. Bought it on DVD a while back though and watched it, and some parts did bring back vague memories.... o.O Rescuers was 70s though I think.

Apart of Oliver and Co I didn't really grow up on 80s animations either; I've only ever seen All Dogs Go To Heaven once, and I only watched The Secret of NIMH for the first time today xD I think I missed out, it's a great film.

ecco
Emeritus Staff

Post by ecco » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 am

i think i saw all dogs go to heaven once, but i cant really remember. i only just bought the secret of NIMH to finally watch it this summer as well haha. need to sit and watch it again tho, i didnt really pay attention the first time. o.o