BlitheBassoon
Pup
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

AllState Musicians

Post by BlitheBassoon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 pm

I suppose I can make this thread? If not, I apologize >.< :angel:

Well, I play bassoon, and I just got back the other day from my state's AllState Band. I had a lot of fun, but it was definately less of a learning experience than the AllState Orcherstra. Our AllState is divided into three bands: red (top band), white, and blue. The first day you show up you audition for chair, and everyone is placed by that evening... and practice begins! Around eighteen hours of sitting in a band room later, the concert. Anyways... all of the bands were ginormous! There were SIXTEEN bassoons there! SIXTEEN! I'd never seen that many in one place before. I really enjoyed actually having a section while there =]

So, I was wondering... does anyone else here participate in thier local AllState or honor bands? How do they work?

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 1

Re: AllState Musicians

Post by SilverLuna » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:38 pm

My sister was in the symphony orchestra, but I enjoyed the concert as much as I would be playing with the orchestra! The conductor was amazing!! He's from NJ. He told them to have a spiritual connection with our instruments, and sure enough, they did!! everyone was moving with the music. They played Carnival Overture by Dvorak and Pines of Rome by Respighi. They also had an organ in there, just for sound. She really had a 64' stop out just to help out us the bass for the Catacomb movement =} But seriosuly I thought they sounded like pros. I got chills form the PoR Finale, so did my sister and mom and even the conductor!! I think that's pretty much earned it's place as being one my favorite orchestra pieces. At the end everyone got a plaque with our names and instrument and a T-shirt with all the names. I can't wait to get the recording though!! What I would really enjoy for next year though is Saint-saens organ symphony!! I mostly play the organ (Learning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5M9KsJ3qRM < I know this organ in really puny sounding >>) and having an organ solo in that piece would be just amazing.

I play the piano, organ, and cello, and next year in HS I'll join the concert band and play a percussion instrument. :love: I'll also join the choir.

Good to see another musician out there who made AllState!!! :D Hope to hear from you back!! =]
Last edited by SilverLuna on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a colorist for "Wolf" cuz it's sooooo much FUN!!!!

BlitheBassoon
Pup

Post by BlitheBassoon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 pm

SWEET! Sounds like AZ has alot more funds than AL >.< you guys got plaques and shirts!?! Did you have to pay for them seperately or were they included with registration, or what?!? That is so cool XD

I'm so glad you enjoyed your music so much! Most of the time I like the music just fine, but not so much my part... especially in band, since so many band-music composers seem to think bassoons should be used as tubas -_-'

And I TOTALLY get the spiritual connection thing... <3 to me, music isn't truly music unless it comes from the heart. Sadly, not all the musicians at our AllState programs seem to get that... -sigh- Haha, I'm sure they'll get it though =]

YAY FOR OTHER MUSICIANS! :love:

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:04 am

They had to pay for them separately. Everyone wanted one though xD

So are you in a symphony or band regularly? Or are you just a musician by yourself? :P I'm second chair cello in the symphony here, and principal for the Chamber orchestra.

If you want to find other classical musicians here you can talk to Koeyohte. She and I are really good friends and she's a REALLY GOOD cellist!! You should go say hi :P We are really looking for other classical musicians to chat with, since of course classical music is a really broad and interesting subject. :razz2: But sadly most people don't appreciate it u.u
Last edited by SilverLuna on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlitheBassoon
Pup

Post by BlitheBassoon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Yes, I am in our school band (though it is reeeally not very good...) and the local youth orchestra. In fact, I'm really excited because this week is our biggest concert of the year, with the guitarist Pablo Sainz Villegas =] We are playing Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto de Aranjuez, which I toootally love <3

Haha, we all need to geek out over classical music together! =D

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Cool! :angel: I can't go the Chamber until my grades go up >> chamber is the exact same time as a class I'm taking, and I haven't been doing the work, and I got a 0 D: I really hope I can go back again sooooon!!! D:

Figaro
Omega

Post by Figaro » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:56 pm

I was always in orchestra, not band, since I'm a string player (viola). But I got to participate in South Carolina All-State Orchestra three times (junior full orchestra, senior string and senior full orchestra). Other than the First Movement of Mozart's Symphony #5 in G minor (I *THINK* that's correct), I don't remember much of the music we played, but all three experiences were very nice.

By thy side,

Figaro
"Sound! It's part of everything. And everything has its own sound, its own 'song,' if you will."--Shriek, from DC's BATMAN BEYOND #5

http://figaro-8.deviantart.com/

http://www.comicsintheclassroom.net --check out my column, The Cat's Meow!

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal: 100
November Challenge Type: Character model - Luna

Post by Koeyohte » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Figaro, you're a viollist?? Awesome =D

I'm homeschooled so I never participated in AllState, but know of people who often have. Sixteen bassoons is a lot. O.o Must have been nice!!!

~Koey
Tumblr - http://koeyohte.tumblr.com/
Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamWolfCraf ... _shop_menu
DeviantART - koeyohte.deviantart.com

Figaro
Omega

Post by Figaro » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:32 pm

Koeyohte wrote:Figaro, you're a viollist?? Awesome =D
Yep. Piano is my main instrument, but I also play viola. I started on the violin in 6th grade--orthodontics prevented me from playing most band instruments--then switched to viola in the 8th grade. I have big hands, and they felt much more comfortable on a viola. (It felt like I was really cramming them together on the violin, and I was renting a FULL-SIZE violin.) But I LOVE the viola and its rich sound.

I'm not trying to brag here, but I was fortunate enough to get into All-State three times, Brevard Music Center and the South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts, all on viola. And while I don't consider myself a BAD player, there are certainly better violists out there. So I think I got into some of those mostly because I was *A* violist, and not necessarily a *GREAT* violist. I remember in Governor's School, they were SO desperate for violas that they were actually asking violinists if they would consider switching! LOL

By thy side,

Figaro
"Sound! It's part of everything. And everything has its own sound, its own 'song,' if you will."--Shriek, from DC's BATMAN BEYOND #5

http://figaro-8.deviantart.com/

http://www.comicsintheclassroom.net --check out my column, The Cat's Meow!

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 am

Figaro wrote: switched to viola in the 8th grade. I have big hands, and they felt much more comfortable on a viola. (It felt like I was really cramming them together on the violin, and I was renting a FULL-SIZE violin.) But I LOVE the viola and its rich sound.

Figaro
same here... I played violin in kindergarten but over time my hands got bigger, so the only string instrument I can play comfortably is the cello... To be honest my fingers feel squished even on a viola!
I like to play mostly Beethoven and Rachmaninoff on the piano... For some reason I play really loud and I love the power of the instrument, and these composers seem to have the most power in thier compositions. Especilly Beethoven Pathetique Sonata and the Rachmaninoff 3rd Piano concerto. Can't play that yet but I want to soooooon!!!

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff

Post by Koeyohte » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Yeah, around here, all the professional muicians will tell you "If you play the viola, there's your ticket into college!"

Brevard you say? I know some people who have gone to see concerts given by them, as well as taught there (my cello teacher used to go up every Summer for the Summer program they did) :)

I've been homeschooled so now All-State for me... but I got to do all kind sof other awesome stuff that I wouldn't have given up the opportunity for. It's all learning experience so it's all great for me! =D I've nvere gotten to hear anythng for All-State... it's through public schools, right? And you get rankings?

~Koey

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 pm

OMG I know O.omy orchestra teacher justtold me that today! You get better scholarships if you play viola...
Well i play the organ and I think that's a little more in demand you think? XD I haven't seen any organ scholarships yet though u_u

Yep, pretty much. All the music in HS people audition (if they want) to do "regionals" (at least here in AZ), you get a set of etudes and orchestral excerpts before hand to practice, then at the audition you play a major and minor scale of whatever the judge tells you, perform those excerpts, sight-read, then your done! It's so scary though.. You walk into a classroom and youvant even see the judges... They're behind curtains xD then they score you from the audition and you get like 500 or higher you get into regionals, and if you get 800 or 900 (I don't remember D8) or higher you can audition for state, then their grading sytem is A LOT more roughthan regionals, since they're getting the best. SO MUCH PRESSURE DARN IT XD and that's pretty much the idea ;D

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff

Post by Koeyohte » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:02 am

LOL I remember doing an audition in which the judges were seated behind a row of tables that were stood on their sides so you couldn't see them. I knew who one of them was though, because I recognized his voice XD

I don't have any idea how high in demand organists are... around here, there are enough that they aren't in like high demand, but if one's needed, there is definitely someone around to do what you need. Like I think I mentioned I know someone who used to build them - and he built one in the church he is music director for now (I have to take photos sometime!)

SilverLuna
STAFF
STAFF

Post by SilverLuna » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:40 am

Well, great international concert organists. The only two I know of are Hector Olivera and Carol Williams, but I know there's more. I'm just saying that they are needed more than let's say pianists or violinists, which there is definatley an overpopulation of them D: *is ashamed I'm one of them u.u* lol