Moderators: Uzuri, Queen Crocuta

caninesrock
Pup
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

White Wolf with Blue Eyes

Post by caninesrock » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 am

Has anyone seen this animation on youtube? It's amazing. It's hard to explain,but it's basically about these wolves that battle with a rabies epidemic. It's more interesting than it sounds though. The animation is incredible and all done by one person. The voice actors are really good too and sound almost professional.

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Re: White Wolf with Blue Eyes

Post by brwainer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Watching it now.... Part 1 was very interesting and well done.

caninesrock
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Yep. Part 2 and so on get even better. It's one of my favorite animations on Youtube. It looks like a real show where as most of the "shows" on Youtube you can very obviously tell they just threw something together in flash and there are either no voices but subtitles instead or all characters are voiced by only one or two people. This one is different though. It has a full voice cast, the animation is unique and high quality and if they used flash at all, you can't tell it.

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 am

right now I'm through Part 3 (1 of 2). The video is very good so far, but audio levels are all over the place. It seems like they're improving in quality over time, but half of good video is good audio..... Also the Nanny's monologue is very out of place and rambling. It provides backstory for Alpha, but really breaks up the flow of the story and doesn't really advance it much.

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 am

And actually I'm not all that impressed with the animation. The drawings are good, but there's really no... motion. Hard to call that animation.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 am

It's a little less animated than usual, in each shot there should be some motion, but it's a valid Japanese style that's still used for real work. It is most often seen in video that deals with dark topics. Overall this was a great example of the style.

caninesrock
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm

brwainer wrote:It's a little less animated than usual, in each shot there should be some motion, but it's a valid Japanese style that's still used for real work. It is most often seen in video that deals with dark topics. Overall this was a great example of the style.
You mean anime? Or are you referring to a different kind of Japanese animation style that isn't used in all anime?

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:27 pm

I guess I'm not keen on that style of animation either, it seems lazy to me. Kinda like modern art.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm

The style is called "Sumi". It started many centuries ago as the traditional brush painting style of choice, and the video form of it focuses on long shots with minimal action (although elements in the shot, such as hair or grasses, should be animated) that are supposed to cause the viewer to be able to read more into the story and understand. Segments of quick shots are supposed to both break up monotony and highlight the most important parts of the narrative.

caninesrock
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:44 pm

brwainer wrote:The style is called "Sumi". It started many centuries ago as the traditional brush painting style of choice, and the video form of it focuses on long shots with minimal action (although elements in the shot, such as hair or grasses, should be animated) that are supposed to cause the viewer to be able to read more into the story and understand. Segments of quick shots are supposed to both break up monotony and highlight the most important parts of the narrative.
Oh. Interesting. I didn't know that. Her art has a style really similiar to that of the anime Wolf's Rain which is a very dark anime,so maybe that's why she choose to use that kind of animation. If I remember correctly, Wolf's Rain had some scenes that had alot of animation in them though.

Warning: Huge,gigantic, humonogous, show-ruining spoilers involving the "d" word for anyone ever planning to watch this that hasn't seen it yet. Oh yeah, and there's also gore/blood in this one since it is an anime but I wouldn't think it's anything worse than PG13. You have been warned (The only reason I'm using this clip is because it's one of the ones that has literally the most action scenes to be animated in the entire anime):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enj0O3PVHGg

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 am

I thought Sumi was an brush in technique. Or maybe that's Sumai... or Sumii.

I guess I've just never been one for anime; not the style, not the frame rate, not even the subject matter. It's not that I can't appreciate that there are people who enjoy it, it's just not for me. Sumi animation will always seem cheap to me; anything I've ever seen like that could have been done in a weekend and is all loops and frame reuse, the same stuff that makes Saturday morning cartoons look cheap. Though Sumi at least has better looking base drawings going for it, so that's something.

And of course it causes me a lot of letdowns since I have to reject enthusiastic people all the time who send portfolios full of that style, since not what we want and we can't use it. Making rejections is not a fun thing to do.

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 pm

That's funny, while I was watching this I was thinking, "This is really amazing quality, but it's nowhere near the style of work we need, and I doubt they'd be willing or able to work our way."

Yes you are thinking about the right Sumi. The animation style is only barely linked to the brush technique, mainly by the philosophies behind it.

Marji4x
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Marji4x » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 pm

This is a good way to get around the problem of having such a long and involved story and such limited means of telling it. It's a step above just making it a comic ("just!" hahaha yeah right even comics are a lot of work!) and it seems to have its own strengths and weaknesses.

The animation (when it does occur) is no good but there's some nice drawings and I do like this kind of storytelling in general. It can be used, like you said, to convey solemn moods. I particularly love this sort of thing in Mushishi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4si-j4XmzzU)

Uzuri, you might like Mushishi...it's a fairly different sort of anime. It's sort of a collection of short stories almost. Hard to describe sometimes but if you like the intro song....the whole anime kind of "feels" like that...

If even one hint of anime style completely turns your stomach, then maybe give it a pass. But if not, give it a shot some time, I think it's on netflix. or...youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxoMyLL1_A
Uzuri wrote:*gives Marj village idiot hat*
It's official!!!! >:D

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 pm

I can do anime, I'm just picky as Hell about it XD

Holly
Pup

Post by Holly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:11 am

Ah, yes, I've been watching White wolf with Blue Eyes for some time, now. I agree that the animation can look a bit stiff at times, though I am grateful that a person with such beautiful art would take the time to animate at all.
Sweats nervously