Lupana
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Big Hero 6 from Disney

Post by Lupana » Fri May 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Saw the teaser for this the other day. Seems like Disney's trying capitalize on Marvel's growing popularity. Withholding too much judgement until I see more trailers though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvgyXKDXdZY

Synopsis:
With all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, “Big Hero 6” is an action-packed comedy-adventure about robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who learns to harness his genius—thanks to his brilliant brother Tadashi and their like-minded friends: adrenaline junkie Go Go Tamago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred. When a devastating turn of events catapults them into the midst of a dangerous plot unfolding in the streets of San Fransokyo, Hiro turns to his closest companion—a robot named Baymax—and transforms the group into a band of high-tech heroes determined to solve the mystery. Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring comic-book style action, “Big Hero 6” is directed by Don Hall (“Winnie the Pooh”) and Chris Williams (“Bolt”), and produced by Roy Conli (“Tangled”).
This is not the inker you are looking for.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Re: Big Hero 6 from Disney

Post by mike_197 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Hmmmm an action-packed comedy adventure? Like every other blockbuster animated film? Ugh I'm still mad that Frozen won the academy award over The Wind Rises.

There's an amazing looking indie animated film coming out later this year called Rocks in my Pockets. I can't wait to see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcVnFripdc

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Thu May 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Oh don't even get me started on Frozen. First there's the recycled story line and originality, and they have the nerve to basically reuse the Beauty and the Beast wolf-attack scene, once again giving wolves a bad rep.

I happen to work as a substitute teacher for this small school, and the kids are ages 3 to 6. I have heard enough renditions of Let it Go and Do You Wanna Build a Snowman to last a lifetime. Though I admit, I liked several of the songs at first, they're starting to get annoying now.

I've actually heard of that movie, but I've yet to watch it. It's on my list though.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

FreckledOne
STAFF
STAFF

Post by FreckledOne » Thu May 29, 2014 4:16 pm

This is the first time I've seen the trailer. :shadowerf: Really don't know if I'm going to see it. Disney's stuff has been really hit-and-miss with me lately.

The only part of Frozen I really like is Let it Go. Everything else was just ok.

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Even Pixar seems to be slipping up. Cars 2, upcoming Cars 3, Finding Dory, Monsters University (which was apparently not bad), The Incredibles 2. All sequels. :sleepy:

That said, I read about a film in production called Inside Out that looks really promising, so maybe they'll surprise me.

What sort of animated films do you guys like?

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Fri May 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Yeah, I thought Cars 1 was cute, but it by no means needed more sequels. Monsters University was okay. I could relate to a lot of it being a college student myself at the time and I enjoyed the moral lesson, but it didn't hold up to the first one either. I'm actually optimistic for Finding Dory. Maybe it will be almost as good as the Toy Story movies (not AS good of course, because nothing will every beat those!) Incredibles 2? Just might be good. But yeah, Pixar needs to work on more original things and let the sequels stop unless they are exceptionally good.

And yeah I read something about Inside Out a while back before it was even in production. Looking at it now I hope it's good. (Very disappointed with Brave, too)

What animated movies do I like? Ohh boy. Well, aside from the obvious classic Disney/Pixar choices, I'm really into How To Train Your Dragon right now. Road to El Dorado is definitely one of my favorites. Quest for Camelot is one everyone forgets about, but I love it. And Space Jam. Balto, An American Tail, and as a kid I owned ten of the Land Before Time movies (but the first is still a classic). You know, come to think of it, there are hardly any -new- animated movies that I really fell in love with side from that adorable dragon Toothless.

I've recently gotten into anime as well, and I really liked the movie Wolf Children. In the middle of watching Wolf's Rain right now but I'm kind of putting it off because I hear it had a horribly depressing ending and I'm dreading this. But the wolves look amazingly well done at least.

FreckledOne
STAFF
STAFF

Post by FreckledOne » Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 pm

I'll admit that I'm kind of uber-picky about animated works, but here's a list of some of my favorites:

The Lion King - my favorite "new" Disney movie, and probably my favorite Disney movie ever. I like the epic story the most, with some really great animation and African chorus music.
most Don Bluth films (especially Secret of NIMH, Land Before Time, and Titan AE) - both Don and John Pomeroy are two of my favorite animators who I hope to be as good as someday, and I just like the way the movies are put together. They feel a bit more "epic" than even Disney movies sometimes.
Fantasia - my favorite "old" Disney movie, especially The Nutcracker Suite, Pastoral sequence, and Rite of Spring.
Rango - really like the story, and the character designs are refreshing. Also as funny as h*ll XD.
Corpse Bride - this movie is gorgeous and my favorite stop-motion film. There are lots of plotholes though.
The Road to El Dorado - my favorite Dreamworks movie. It's a shame they stopped making hand-drawn films, because they tended to look great.
WALL-E - the first half of this movie is near perfect; it kinda looses focus after the people show up.
something I think is called Adam and Dog - I saw this on Cartoon Brew; the animation is some of the best I've seen.
Ichabod and Mr. Toad - only the Ichabod half. Halloween themed and with songs by Bing Crosby!
Cats Don't Dance - this movie needs more love. It has good animation, songs, and characters.
Balto - most members here probably like this movie. I do wish that they put Togo (spelling?) in it as well as Balto because both dogs helped bring the medicine in real life.
Wolf - (^-^)

Usually I judge the animation quality of a work at a higher level than the story. I still really like it when a movie has both great animation and a great story, but I'm willing to overlook some story fumbles if the thing looks nice (like with Corpse Bride).

That's probably more that you wanted to know. :cheese:

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:51 am

I think Wolf Children is a masterpiece, Wolf's Rain is spectacular as well. If you're watching it, skip 15-18, as they are useless recap episodes.

Nice to see Balto getting some love, that was a childhood favorite of mine that no one seems to remember lol
I agree about Wall-E, it started out so perfectly but then got sorta hammy. Pixar films are generally quite good though.

There's some amazing animated films outside the realm of hollywood, Technotise: Edit & I, Persepolis, The Tragedy of Man, and my personal favorite, Mary and Max. Stop-motion is tricky, but this film gets everything right, and is criminally unknown.

And of course, there's anime, where Satoshi Kon, Isao Takahata, and the great Miyazaki all reign. It gets looked down upon by some, but there's some real quality in the medium. I can't wait to see Wolf so far lol but I need to get that contract sent first
I get depressed when I see that little thing on the left that says Friends: Online (no friends online) and Offline (no friends offline).

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 am

I actually just watched Titan A.E. for the first time yesterday over at a livestream. I really enjoyed it! Missed a couple parts but I'll definitely watch it again.

Oh man, I was obsessed with Balto as a kid. It was one of those movies where I think my mom had to replace the VHS tape because it was worn from use. That an 101 Dalmatians. But yes, I adore that movie (*points to quote in signature*). The sequels were bad though. Togo deserved more credit though I agree ^^

There are just not enough good movies about wolves though. Alpha and Omega was horrible...

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:44 pm

I've heard about Big Hero 6 way earlier in the year. I kinda like looking at all the movies that will be released way in the future for some reason... It's just weird when I suddenly re-hear the title. Completely forgot about it. XD It was the same way with Frozen for me and look where that went... Welp. Looks interesting and very Disney-isk. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the current Disney formula (I wish there could be a little more risks in the storyline ^^') but I still respect it. I do find the animation nice and appealing. Just... I don't think I'll ever buy the DVD for those movies. Still yet, can't wait to see this one.
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:12 am

I know this is a few months old, but I just saw Big Hero 6 on the big screen and it really amazed me. I mean, it's not brilliant or anything but it gets everything right and does it really well, and works a lot better than most of the Disney films I've seen. It has a lot more heart than it seemed like it would. If any of you get a chance to see it, go for it. Also the preceding short film Feast is wonderful. Both gave several people in the audience the sniffles :shock: but yea they were great.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:55 am

I saw Big Hero 6 twice and that's probably all I want to see of it. XP I mean, the animation was good and there were some well done parts but it overall didn't leave any kind of impact on me. Wouldn't say I was a fan. I'm not looking forward to Inside Out, either... But I'm really curious about Moana and Zootopia. Rocks in my Pockets I want to see just because of the intellect it has but I don't think I'll be a real fan... Like, sometimes those movies feel like they can try too hard to be artistic and it just kinda looses the appeal portion. But that's just me.
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:09 pm

I'd like to respectfully disagree about Inside Out :) I'm quite excited for it because I think it has that something special that early Pixar movies had an the newer ones have been lacking.

Mm I will have to see if I can watch Big Hero Six eventually. I doubt I'll be able to see it before it leaves theaters.

Moana I'm eager for. Haven't heard of Zootopiayet.

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Inside Out has a great concept, although the trailer was a bit 'meh'. I'll still go see it though. Moana and Zootopia could be promising but it's way too early to tell.

I'm pulling for The Tale of Princess Kaguya as one of the best films I've ever seen though, saw it 3 times in theaters and twice since. Isao Takahata is a far better director and filmmaker than he's given credit.