mike_197
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Post by mike_197 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:15 am

I saw this film at the Sydney Film Festival, and I'm obsessed. It's unbelievably good, one of the greatest animated films I've ever seen. Have any of you seen it? Or are planning to see it when it gets a more general release?

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDrkokymLQ

Azura
STAFF
STAFF

Re: The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Post by Azura » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! I didn't even know about it until now but I'd love to see it at some point. (:
╔════════════ Former inker, current BG artist ═══════════╗
Theatre technician by average day and night- visual artist by full moon
╚═════════════════════❖═════════════════════╝

KanuTGL
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 110

Post by KanuTGL » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Wohaa, that looks absolutely stunning. I must watch it sometime. Thanks for the tip! :D
http://kanutgl.deviantart.com
---

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:12 am

The creator of the film intentionally had them leave in lots of sketch lines and some scenes almost look like animatics, I dunno what the actual term is but resembling a 'rough draft' animation. It's used to convey certain things in the movie, like going for a disoriented feel and such.

It's really great, has a lot of humor and also a lot of profound and subtle parts, as well as being quite simply one of the most beautiful and visually striking things to grace the medium.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah I was going to mention how much I like the roughness of the animation. It sort of reminds me of the very early stuff Disney made, but it's completely unique. I think I may watch this just for that.
This is not the inker you are looking for.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:59 am

It's getting a dubbed release in the fall, according to Wikepedia. Yea, it's a really terrific look. There's no computer coloring or 3D models, it's watercolor backgrounds and traditional methods recalling old Japanese art (fitting for the themes of the film). The film was in production for 8 years.

Isao Takahata was also the one who made Grave of the Fireflies, which many consider an animated masterpiece. He's not as well known as he should be, but he's real good and this is his last film.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:47 am

I really need to catch up on my anime. There are too many that I haven't seen yet, the firefly one being one on many XD

Watercolor?!?! Holy moly.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 pm

I love how its not animated like a lot of anime... for me, the anime style generally feels too constrained. That's why I tend to like western animation... I'm more about the motion of it. But this looks pretty nice. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a single Studio Ghibli movie yet ^^' I keep intending too but... I dunno. Currently, I'm on a quest to watch every animated movie made in existence and honestly... I think these one's will be a good flavor. I'm really beginning to loathe terrible spin-off movies like 'Legend of Sarila' and 'Brother Bear 2'. Frankly, 'The Croods', 'Ferngully', and 'Fly Me to the Moon' are also on my list of just badly done movies, and not necessarily in the animation... but the story is just so cliche' and poorly done (in my opinion) that every time they attempted to be emotional it just made me groan even more. It just felt sooooo forced. T.T
But, for every bad movie is a good one and for every bland an interesting one. I really actually liked Rise of the Guardians and both How to Train Your Dragon movies. A Cat in Paris was also interesting and Akira is.... respectable. Plus, found my new fav. poke'mon movie 'Poke'mon: Heroes.' A lot of the after one's, though, were mostly pretty bland.
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Ghibli tends to have outstanding animation, but some people criticize the character designs. A lot of them look very similar, the facial structure and whatnot, although Kaguya stands out. One thing I like about anime is that not every film falls under the 'family-friendly adventure' that every single western animated film seems to fall under. There's stuff aimed squarely at an adult audience, and there's a lot more variety in general. Some of the European animated films are great as well, it seems like studios like Dreamworks and Disney are just intent on making a certain kind of movie every time.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:08 am

I know what you mean and that's something I appreciate about anime, the fact it tackles more adult subjects more often but note the only western animation you're talking about is the millions-billion level. Disney and DreamWorks do have a formula that they will faintly deviate from in movies every once in awhile, but they're not going to take a big risks. Though anime gets the wrap for having more adult subjects, I've found that it also doesn't quite reach the... I don't know. The animation pyramid in Japan is just different. They produce a lot more of it and with it will comes its flaws. It's the same with books. A popular show will spawn many similar idea's. I've found that there's a huge group of anime is based on schools (gauken?) and witchcraft sort of stuff. So, because an adult-subject show can become just as big (because their pyramid is broader than ours, getting something fairly successful is not as rare as it is with western) it's going to be a subject more are going to tackle. I've also found it is really difficult to find a non-human (or humanoid) anime. I mean, really really difficult. I see Hamtaro, that one with weed, and wolf's rain are the one's I can really mention and even with those, they have a whole separate storyline just for the humans. (and with Wolf's Rain, most of the time they're animated as humans anyway.)
There's quite some western animation that isn't quite as... cliche' as the main companies we think of are. They just don't get noted because, I mean, they're competing with pawing Disney. I feel like Poke'mon is the biggest competition in Japan, and even that just gets its own category. (Note, it doesn't help that generally the US is the next biggest producer of animated films and the US audience overall is pretty.... Hate to say this but... inartistic than the rest of the world.) To note some adult animated movies: Fritz the Cat (and pretty much anything else produced by Ralph Bakshi), Felidae, Watership Down, Plague Dogs, and Animal Farm. Other movies that can be enjoyed just as much but aren't technically adult are A Cat in Paris, An American Tail (and a lot of other Don Bluth's films, All Dogs Go to Heaven is a really good one), and if you want to go really old, Of Stars and Men is fascinating more idea-wise than animation wise. Some of the anime I've seen (film-wise) was Castle of Cagliostro, Summer Wars, and Akira. Though I have some respect for how they were made, none of them really hit home for me. I mean, Castle of Cagliostro had pretty neat animation and a pretty cliche' story, Summer Wars idea-wise interested me (especially in the icon world there) but I thought the ending was anti-climatic and generally... just really emotional and I felt it was trying to hit emotional ques and in any movie I don't care for that(I'm looking at you Disney princess movies, particularly), and with Akira, I'll say that was probably the best of the three. Mostly because it revolutionized anime, had a lot of work put into it, and even though there was a lot of anger and whatnot, I didn't feel it was as emotionally-imbalanced (I can't even find the word for it XP) Like if someone's being mentally scared than, yea, go full out with the scenes. But the outcome has to match the level of the cause. By the end of the movie, though I had a respect for it, it just wasn't my taste. I don't care for sci-fy-ish movies and I guess that's what this felt like. Like it had the same mood as a live-action sci-fy here and I don't care for that so much... I care for the weird-peculiar mood that I'm left with after watching a cartoon of some sort.
Overall, I think it really depends on the perspective you have when watching a movie. :P
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:30 am

I'm familiar with Bakshi, having seen Heavy Traffic and the original adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, I like those films and his outlook on animation in general. Bluth was always competing with Disney and generally lost lol but I grew up with his films, they never felt less well-known than other animated films from those times except for Disney's renaissance. Watership Down wasn't nearly as brutal as I thought it would be given its reputation, but it's an excellent movie for sure. I've wanted to see The Plague Dogs for a while, it seems great. Another great British film is When the Wind Blows, one of the saddest films I've ever seen.....never met a soul who has seen it, but it's a good one.

I agree about the pyramid in anime, for every Spirited Away there's a Summer Wars (which was sorely disappointing for me) and for every Cowboy Bebop there's 20 'kawaii' school shows. But some of my favorite films aren't Japanese either lol Mary and Max is an aussie film with more depth than any Pixar movie, and there's some killer films that just fly under the radar. Arrugas is one that gets little attention, but it's yet another quietly amazing film.

Thing with anime is I never planned to watch it, my interest was in animated films and Disney and Pixar just didn't cut it. Wolf Children, The Wind Rises, Akira of course, these films hit something that an American animation giant wouldn't dare attempt.
Dunno if I'm the only one who feels this way but my favorite Disney film is The Fox and the Hound.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 pm

I actually tried watching Plague Dogs. Got about halfway through but it got to me a little much for me. Much darker than I anticipated. I'm a big softy though. I'll finish it one of these days.

Fox and the Hound is a very underrated Disney film. I can't say it's my *favorite* but I do enjoy it very much and love the story. And omg I adored Wolf Children so much. I never thought I'd get into anime and well here I am.

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Haha if you like animation, it's inevitable. There's just so much of it.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 am

My absolutely favorite movie of all time is Bambi! That tends to get a lot of meh reception, or 'I faintly remember that', or 'the mom died.' But to me, it hits me in so many ways. I do love the Fox and the Hound as well, though! In fact, I had to rewatch it recently because a line from the movie popped into my head and it connected so well to a real life situation(the part where the fox sneaks to the hound's place at night to play but the hound says something like 'Your not supposed to be here. Those days were good and all but its time to move on now. I'm a hound dog.')
I've never heard of Mary and Max and just heard about The Wind Blows recently on a quiz! I want to see that one! I personally loved Plague Dogs... I love the quiet atmosphere movies like that leave. It's the same thing with Bambi where the point isn't rubbed in your face, it's just vague. It helps avoid a lot of cliché's in writing as well, like the underdog character where for me its just kind of painful to watch the unrealistic amount of obnoxious bullying goes on. I mean, it happens but bully's aren't that straight-forward or obviously mean from what I remember.
Personally, Disney kind of scares me. I love The Brave Little Toaster... particularly two of the songs from the movie (It's a B-Movie and Worthless) It wasn't produced as a Disney movie, it was bought years later and I was watching a Poke'mon movie (one of the older one's) and I was scared at how many Disney commercials were on it. The company has also bought the rights to a lot of other companies and distributors, and it helps that they don't change the name of the places because then we never know any different. Though I appreciate the animation studios part.... the rest is just..... cornering and blocking competition.
But, yea, with the anime, I appreciate how its able to reach the broad borders that its able to reach and if there wasn't so much and if it wasn't so prominent... well.... I'd be nervous to see what would of happened otherwise. I mean, how many times when some person says cartoons are for children is it easy to just say 'anime'?
Also, you can tell Bakshi (Fritz the Cat anyway... only one I saw... want to see one like Coonskins though...) inspired modern adult animated shows like South Park and Family Guy. I see it in the writing. :P

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:04 am

Mary and Max is a stop-motion Australian film that I'd describe as a black comedy that beautifully fleshes out an unusual friendship. It has some real sad stuff as well, it's another of my all-time favorite films, along with Kaguya, Spirited Away (which is really amazing imo, a lot of people who saw it only looked at it as a fantasy film but is actually really profound in a lot of ways), and The Fox and the Hound.

Disney is an amazing business, but they're pretty conservative with their films. I agree about the quiet atmospheres and films of that sort where the writing is quality and avoids cheese. Heavy Traffic was great, I have Fritz the Cat but haven't watched it yet. Bakshi almost seemed to go out of his way for explicit stuff, but he could tell a story no doubt, and at the time no one dared try to make Lord of the Rings into a film, it was too dense, but he did and it was actually decent, although the rotoscoping was terribly cheesy lol and they never did Return of the King. With Disney, I heard a lot about how Frozen was a return to form and a fantastic film, and it deserved the award for best animated film and all that. I saw The Wind Rises, and I dunno how the two even compare. The Wind Rises has a lot of depth and subtlety and he did the film despite the political backlash and alienating subject matter and constructed a heart-wrenching final film about achieving dreams at any cost, and how things change as you plow on as everything crumbles and your dream is bastardized. And Frozen was, well, yea.