mike_197
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Re: The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Post by mike_197 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

Haven't seen/heard of it, looking it up I was surprised to see generally mixed responses. Might be worth a shot, I dunno lol although the animation seems universally praised, and I may watch it just for that at some point. Especially after Technotise, with a great story and shoddy animation (compared to any major company) that made the whole film suffer.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Just Google Technotise and wow that sounds like a great story. Sad to hear you say the animation wasn't up to par. According to Wikipedia they used 4 kinds of animation, which I guess on paper sounds nice but in reality was poorly executed?

Still I'm now very intrigued and will be searching for it to watch.
This is not the inker you are looking for.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:25 pm

A lot of the backgrounds were fine and the CG is pretty good, but the hand-drawn varies wildly in quality and the movements of characters tend to be rather awkward, drawn or CG. Add that to amateurish directing and cheeseball music (and the obligatory European movie sex scene) and you have a great story nearly ruined. I think it's on youtube, but again it's not really great, or rather it had a lot of potential.

Really makes you appreciate when films get the aesthetic and substance lol the short clips of Wolf I've seen all have great backgrounds and fluid animation/good shots, so I'm optimistic that I'll be blown away when I get access to what you guys have so far

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:19 pm

I hate when movies are ruined by necessary content. Doesn't that saying go, "If it ain't broke don't fix it?" Seems that's being ignored a lot in the movie industry lately.

Yeah the Youtube clips are just a tiny portion of it. I was astounded myself at how everything is going so far. But there's still lots to be done :)
This is not the inker you are looking for.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Haha I think the industry suffers a little too much from 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' I mean, there's so many safe movies from studios, it's a little 'meh' but they know it'll make money so that's what they do.