Moderators: Uzuri, Queen Crocuta

Lierin
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Sailor Moon [2014]

Post by Lierin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:10 pm

:worry: Embarrassiinngg~~~ I had multiple tabs open the other day and made a post about Sailor Moon in the wrong forum on this. Oops. x.x; Anyway, I'm going to try my best to sum up my thoughts~~~

:silversmile: Anyway, are there any Sailor Moon fans out here?

The reason why I think this belongs in animation [besides it actually being animated], is that my biggest problem with the reboot was the craptacular animation in it.
If you saw the smooth animation of the first one, compared to the shortcuts they're taking in this reboot you might agree.

Where in the first one, every action had frames in between. You'd see a whole rotation of a hand, instead of the back and then suddenly the front? I'm like not an animation student or anything so I don't know if I'm describing this well or if there's some technical terminology I'm missing out on...but like...in the original, you could see every minimovement, you could see every move of the leg, every twist of the body-- there were no cheap things. And for me that added a sort of grace to the movements, even in their less graceful moments (like falling down), because like, it was complete. It was quality.

Where as in this, the animation is just such crap. I've seen better animation in cheap budget cartoons.

And further, the whole thing-- the whole argument behind the redesigns is that they would be more true to the manga itself. Except, just making the hair more wild and flowy and adding random flowers everywhere doesn't make it more true to the manga. Especially when they cut corners like giving her ONE BLOODY EXPRESSION ON HER FACE THE ENTIRE EPISODE, except like maybe twice for 0.00003 seconds. And like, taking away the expressive (albeit exaggerated) moments, by simply not having them in view. That way Usagi (or Serena, which ever you prefer) is always beautiful no matter what. We never see her at her worst....

Which to me doesn't take away just from the quality of the art, but from the quality of the story itself....because I feel like it was so important to her character, especially for readers/watchers, that she WAS clumsy, and whiny, and overly dramatic. She had so many faults, but that made her heroics more pure-- because it doesn't take someone perfect to be a good person.

And that's something that they've taken away from any new viewers who might be trying this again this time around.

As for her first transformation? GOOD. GRIEF. CHEAP 3D ANIMATION.

Like.Oh my.

It's like they didn't even add the finishing touches to it, to take it from 'model' to 'complete work'.

It goes from animated to video game, and it stays there for a painful amount of time. It almost hurt my eyes to watch. Especially knowing that in the original, even if the art suffered from not being ~~BEAUTIFUL~~, the product they offered was always complete.

...And just....just don't even get me started on the anatomy...just....especially of her head...*shivers*

I hate the redesign of Usagi, but I'm going to hold out judgement of other characters, I plan to give this a few more episodes before I absolutely decide for or against it.

I think the saving grace of this episode was Tuxedo Mask/Darian. I think they did a good job on him.

But I also think he didn't really DOOO anything????

I hope Mars isn't SUCH a terrible friend this time around, because I can't stand her in the original she's so horrible. I almost want to be like CAN THIS TEAM SURVIVE WITHOUT HER BECAUSE I SERIOUSLY WANT HER OUT.

Anyway, don't let my opinions influence you, have you guys seen the reboot, what did you think?
Isaiah 40:28 "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the Everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."

FreckledOne
STAFF
STAFF

Re: Sailor Moon [2014]

Post by FreckledOne » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 pm

I'll admit that I haven't seen any iteration of Sailor Moon ever (just don't care for the pan-anime "style"), but the way you described this version sounds like they took quite a few shortcuts.

Every time I've seen a spinoff or a reboot of anything animated the quality of the animation and story goes way down. And sometimes the designs, backgrounds, and songs too.

Do you know if it's the same company or studio that is making it? Sometimes a different studio tries to do things it's own way without really understanding what fans liked about the original.

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Re: Sailor Moon [2014]

Post by mike_197 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:39 am

Weird, most reboots have better graphics. That's part of the point of a reboot right? Look at the Evangelion rebuilds vs the original show....once it's already popular, logically there would be more money for that sort of thing :/