Kaze, Ghost Warrior ..... prequels and sequels in the works!

Chat about your favorite animation

Moderators: Uzuri, Queen Crocuta

Chibiabos
Pack Member
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Kaze, Ghost Warrior ..... prequels and sequels in the works!

Post by Chibiabos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:43 pm

I seem to recall kinship between Silver Sky studios and Amadhia (formerly Tim) Albee. In that spirit, thought Wolf Movie fans might be interested in the finally in-progress updates for the series around Kaze, the anthropomorphic warrior tiger featured a decade ago in Amadhia Albee's groundbreaking animation.

There are actually two series in development at present: the audio drama "Kaze, Winds of Change" prequel and a continuation of the animated series "Kaze, Ghost Warrior.'

Winds of Change is seeking kickstarter funding and is seeking voice actor auditions!

Check out their site at http://kazeghostwarrior.com/ for more details. Kickstarter page is at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... -of-change
At long last, the saga of "Kaze, Ghost Warrior" by CGI animation visionary Amadhia Albee (formerly Tim Albee) is moving forward! Check out http://www.kazeghostwarrior.com/ for updates.

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Re: Kaze, Ghost Warrior ..... prequels and sequels in the wo

Post by mike_197 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Awesome!

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:08 pm

OMG! This is great news! It's been so long :D
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Chibiabos
Pack Member

Post by Chibiabos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:21 pm

The first prequel, an audiocast, is complete (actually it was in November but I forgot to post an update until now ... shame on me!). Its up on Youtube with illustrations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obP_k5B8RgM
At long last, the saga of "Kaze, Ghost Warrior" by CGI animation visionary Amadhia Albee (formerly Tim Albee) is moving forward! Check out http://www.kazeghostwarrior.com/ for updates.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 pm

I think that's exactly how I knew about that, through Wolf... somehow XP

When I first saw the short they did, I was fascinated by it being, well, animals for the most part, but also because the fur was really cool and it felt cinematic in a way.... Buuuuuuutt watching it all the way through, the shots were constantly irritating (too many close-ups..) and I just didn't overall get into it XP I full-fledge support it, though, and hope they are moving forward~!
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

Chibiabos
Pack Member

Post by Chibiabos » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:38 am

Cloudwilk wrote:I think that's exactly how I knew about that, through Wolf... somehow XP

When I first saw the short they did, I was fascinated by it being, well, animals for the most part, but also because the fur was really cool and it felt cinematic in a way.... Buuuuuuutt watching it all the way through, the shots were constantly irritating (too many close-ups..) and I just didn't overall get into it XP I full-fledge support it, though, and hope they are moving forward~!
The new animated series is being done by a professional studio. Amadhia (then Tim) did the original Ghost Warrior all by her (then him ... oy I get so confused!) self with only a couple thousand dollars worth of computers and software. The new animated series will have a much bigger budget. The audio prequel series is just narration and illustration, but it has quite a talented cast -- while its all Amadhia's creation, now each character has a voice actor behind it (whereas in the original, every voice -- along with all the animation and everything in the production -- was done by Amadhia). Wolf Movie has a much bigger crew working on it than Ghost Warrior did. :P

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:52 am

Well I figured it'd be better with the upcoming~ Prequels and pilots are never meant to be... amazing. But it's good for what it is.

I'm not even going to compare it to Wolf XP Different structure between 2D and 3D... something decent is easier to make with 2D but something professional is easier to do with 3D... or at least that's what I've noticed.
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

Chibiabos
Pack Member

Post by Chibiabos » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Albee tried to blaze a path for anyone to do 3D/CGI. Kaze: Ghost Warrior was as much a proof of concept, as anything -- that a small crew with a shoestring budget could bring stories to life through animation using CGI in a fraction of the time of traditional cel animation, but that's certainly not to say there's no room for the old fashioned way. I certainly look forward to Wolf. :) But I also enjoy good CGI animation (there is plenty of bad CGI, some of it big budget ... blech!).

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Ever since Bolt, I have grown to love what CG has to offer ^^ Of course, it is also super easy to have bad CG... so anything decent is respectable (Afterall, it can be merely a matter of money to get the right program versus drawing where you can just go at it)

The path I see with Kaze is that its an anthromorphic CG short aiming on being a show... which will probably have its biggest impact on the tastes of those in the furry community.

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:41 pm

The program doesn't do the work for people, not even in CGI. That's why we get awful CGI -- because people go into it thinking that that's the case. If you don't have a good story and you don't have the design skills, you're going to fall flat no matter what you use.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 am

Don Hertzfeldt once said 'You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.'

His stick figure named Bill has more of an emotional connection to me than certain relatives.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:36 am

Of course overall artistic ability is primary.

But still, you can work forever at art but without the right finances/supplies it would take ten times longer to look professional... particularly in CG. Don't get me wrong though, that doesn't impeded storytelling abilities. It just impedes aesthetics. The issue with people abusing CG and thinking it looks good right off the bat is pretty much exactly the same issue in the 2D world as well, as far as I've noticed that is. The only other thing to consider with CG is it also hasn't been developed nearly as long as 2D art forms. Even Disney is still trying hard to just get 3D to match the 2D levels of charisma.

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Disney was trying hard to make cheap crap in the early days of CGI. They were bleeding talent, they were retraining those that remained, and they were a horrible, horrible place to work at that moment. When they stopped that and started looking at the story again (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6 -- even as much as this was underpromoted), look what happened.

Go back and watch Toy Story and watch it closely. The CGI is almost painful; it's really awful. But they told a story and they captured a mood, and because of that it's still watchable, even with the dated CGI. That's with the incredible talent that is Pixar's software division (remember, Toy Story wasn't the first film they made, just the first feature-length film). Obviously everything improves over time.

Incredible things have been made with free tools (check out Sintel some time, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HomAZcKm3Jo, made in Blender).

The tools don't make the art. The wrong tools might make the art difficult, but they don't make the art.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:20 pm

Tangled was a big jump because of how much they tried to integrate the style and movement of 2D.... But I used to really like Dinosaur :P ... I didn't really like Big Hero 6 or Frozen, to be honest, because they both felt... meh. I mean, they're beautiful but.... lots of flaws in the arc. I liked Wreck-It-Ralph, though. Prior to that, it skips to Bolt (2008, and I like its story far more than any of the ones made after) and then Brother Bear . Meet the Robinsons was alright. I bought it, so that's something. Disney doesn't have the freedom in its stories as it used to have. DreamWorks is a riskier company (and look where that got them XP) that has always seemed more.... concept based than Disney. I don't know. Disney just seems more character-design based. Of course, they're both major studios that can afford to make their movies shine.

Oh gosh, when Toy Story was around, CG hadn't even touched the capability of human rendering. Even today whenever CG tries to get realistic it just drops into the Uncanny Valley. That's why Pixar avoided humans as much as they could.

If you were really artistic, you could make a masterpiece out of napkins. But most people are not that artistic. I've lived my life with free programns and have been able to make decent stuff, but once I got access to heavy money equipment I quickly learned why people preferred it and how it could impact the final look of your work. I mean, I've seen people do absolutely amazing stuff with free software, like paint. Some people, on rare occasion, prefer it. However, the paid programns are paid for a reason and that's because they just have features that make the art process, not only easier, but generally smoother. There's a difference between Blender and Cinema 4D, not only in its application but in its usage. Companies make their own programns for a reason, afterall. Of course, though, they'd never hire anyone who couldn't handle it~

I think using the wrong tools make unique art, like a working with what you have sort of thing. Gives you outcomes you couldn't of planned, bad or good.