mike_197
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

The Lady and the Tramp

Post by mike_197 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:46 pm

I was watching this the other day and there were a few really striking things. The one that I couldn't believe I never noticed before was the complete lack of sound design. There's almost no foley, ambient noise is kept to an absolute minimum. And there's music playing for most of the film.....it rarely takes a break. I can't remember if this was normal for their other films at the time, I never really caught it before. Anyone else notice this in their other films?

Anyway it's a sweet movie, I'm a dog lover so a lot of the cute dog moments were just great. I was surprised at how much it came back to me, I haven't seen it since I was a little kid but almost every scene felt warm and cozy and familiar. It's definitely better directed than I remember, they really were a fantastic company back in the day. I'm on a mission to watch all the old classics and so far, this, Pinocchio, and Dumbo are my favorites. Anyone else have favorites and/or observations about these films?

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Re: The Lady and the Tramp

Post by Uzuri » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:19 pm

That's a good catch; I never really thought about it before. This is definitely one of my favorites, though :) Always loved how the dogs moved.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

mike_197
STAFF
STAFF

Post by mike_197 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:00 pm

The dogs are absolutely perfect, the ideal blend of realism and animation fluffiness. I also love the opening scenes where Lady yelps pitifully for company and they show her months later still sleeping in the bedroom; having been there before it just lights you up inside :)

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:43 pm

I loved this movie when I was younger... another interesting Disney movie that runs without 'real-noises' would be Bambi.... where its pretty much all orchestral when it comes to sounds. I saw that observation on youtube and was pretty surprised, even though I had watched it millions of times.

Back to Lady and the Tramp... I can now say my least favorite scenes would be the zoo ones and my favorites are when Lady walks throughout the house, when the dogs go in to get the rat, the way the water falls on the streets and the other two dogs run through it to find the pound, and (I don't know why) I love the way the donut and coffee scene is played out in the beginning of the movie. Something.... oddly entertaining.
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26