STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Seriously Disney?

Post by Lupana » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:58 pm

http://youtu.be/2toXxKBg-kk

You had to go and do this? THIS? On Disney Junior of all things? Could you at least kept the Lion King style for Rafiki and the hyenas? They're not at all anatomically correct anymore. Kion is the only one who looks normal, but what about the other lions? AND YOU HAD TO GIVE HIM THAT WEIRD BIRTHMARK? You better explain yourselves. And what's with the theme song?! That's not Lion King either!

*climbs down off soapbox and shuts up*

Okay. Now that that's out of the way, the animation otherwise looks good. But I'm not holding my breath. How about you guys?
This is not the inker you are looking for.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Re: Seriously Disney?

Post by Cloudwilk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 am

When I first saw this, I was hoping it was a joke. That pretty much sums up my opinion XD
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:09 am

It's better than the animation was for the Timon and Pumbaa show that they had way back when, I will say that. And about the best vector animation I've seen in a while (it's not immediately obvious it's vector; though there are some tells).

But then, I wasn't expecting much when I heard this was coming XD
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:11 am

It's the premise that makes me laugh. When it comes to animation (which apparently this is all puppeted) I'd say it's rather nice.

Besides the part with the lions roaring in the sky.
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:34 am

I thought something was funny when watching this (*disregarding my hundred other points*), and it being vector explains it. I could see the differences too. It almost feels... too smooth? Too perfect. It looses something when the animation isn't hand-drawn frame by frame.

I admit I like the shot of the roaring cloud lions. Though it felt like they were trying to copy Mufassa's "Remember who you are" sequence.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 pm

I thought the roar was awful... like a broken 3D texture XD It's also completely overdoing what was established in the movies.. but lets ignore those for now.

Honestly, I thought portions of it were handdrawn because some of the shapes flow... really well for being deformers? I don't know. I didn't work on it. Maybe I'll understand one day.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:26 am

No you're right, some of it was smooth and nice looking. Honestly I think the only reason the vector animation stood out to me was because I recently watched this horrible movie that was literally Romeo and Juliet with seals and the animation was so obviously mechenaic and "too smooth" that it distracted from the movie. I'm not sure how to explain what it looks like. But I'm sure it will come to you too with time.

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:35 am

Is it this?

http://cdn8.nflximg.net/images/4778/1564778.jpg

I have a friend who binges on watching poorly made animated movies... I have a goal to watch every animated movie ever made, but after just seeing a few select horrid movies, I started aiming on just watching the worthwhile movies. I was watching The Legend of Sarilla and it made me question what the purpose of life even was. XD But the movie that I reaaallly can't stand is Azur and Asmar: The Prince's Quest. That one wasn't even supposed to be a B movie since it's not ripped off of anything. It was supposed to be an artistic film but its SO UGLY. I mean, the emphasis is all on the 'beauty' of the majestic scenes but.... it's so ugly. T.T It's kinda 3D, kinda puppets.

Here's a screenshot of one of the scenes:
https://reellanguage.files.wordpress.co ... ar_121.jpg

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:31 am

Yup that's the one! Reminded me of those poorly made animated Titsnic movies XD

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Wow... just looked up the seal movie. The animation is fairly bad, but it doesn't scream vector to me. Just maybe slave labor Korean animators.

And I'll be having nightmares about your screencap for weeks, there, Cloud O.o
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Mmm. Perhaps I should research more about vector XD

Omg Cloud.... that is just... wow. I have no words. Who said that kind of animation was good??

FreckledOne
STAFF
STAFF

Post by FreckledOne » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:22 am

I'll be honest; I will probably watch this when it airs. Guess I'm just glad that Disney is doing something with The Lion King that is not centered entirely around Timon and Pumbaa.

The animation is surprisingly good looking, even though Rafiki's new design is kinda off. So glad they didn't go with the CGI they use for Sofia the First (uuggh).

Marji4x
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Marji4x » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:20 am

I am WAY excited for this!

And there is a special place in my heart for vector based animation. It's one of the main reasons 2D hasn't just completely died out lately. And it saves a buttload of time, making it sill commercially viable enough to create shows and games with.

I think this one's animated in Canada and I know the animators are all clasically trained and use the principles Disney studios pioneered in the early boom days of 2D animation.

I find a lot of it charming when it's done to its maximal potential! There's still bits that stand out that are awkward tho hahah.

The idea for the show is fun! I love that it's expanding the universe a bit. And reimagining the family (such as a young Kiara sibling dynamic and new interspecies friends) is going to be fun!

I have a lot more faith in this sort of thing since I accidentally stumbled on Jake and the Neverland Pirates years ago and was won over. Says a lot as I am not even a fan of the Peter Pan movie to begin with lol
Uzuri wrote:*gives Marj village idiot hat*
It's official!!!! >:D

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:02 am

Lol since I posted about this originally I've watched the premire movie and I admit I was a bit harsh. It's simple yet because it's aimed at kids but the songs were catchy and to be honest I'm probably goong to watch the series too XD

Cloudwilk
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Cloudwilk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:04 pm

*is negative* I heard really bad reviews about this... :grump: