STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal:0
November Challenge Type:frames
November Challenge Progress:0
Re: Zootopia

Post by Cloudwilk » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Funny XD That's usually how I am but I was a little the opposite for this~
"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

FreckledOne
STAFF
STAFF

Post by FreckledOne » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Saw it on opening day. I had no expectations going in, but I ended up enjoying it a lot! There were only two other people in the theater besides us, but it was a matinee so I'm sure more people saw it later.

Kind of surprised that Disney went with the themes it did, but it is a pleasant surprise.

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:15 pm

so I've now seen this movie 3 times, once in Imax 3D. You know how some movies do great 3D, some are meh, and others are bad? Well this one for me was pretty good, but in some scenes the 3D effect took me out of the movie instead of drawing me in. Most scenes nailed it.

Edit: Oh and our fursuiting in front of the theater was mixed success. We were doing fine on the theater's private property, got lots of great pictures with kids, but the theater manager wanted a picture of the group with the theater logo in the background - this meant standing on the Mall's property. In VA you can't wear anything that covers your whole face except on private property with the permission of the owner/manager. So when we crossed over to the mall's property, the mall security called a city police officer and we were forced to stop. Oh well.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:51 am

So I saw the movie twice and I have a few thigs to say. Spoilers because.

Spoiler:

I love how Disney didn't follow traditional animal stereotypes. They made reference to the obvious "sly fox", "dumb bunny", "memory of an elephant" etc and whatever you expected they did the opposite. The elephant character had a horrible memory for example. Even Mr Big had the assumptive stereotype of being incredibly large and well, obviously wasn't. Also as a bonus, none of the wolves were made out to be bad guys! And the lion, usually an animal used in a prestigious position of power and authority, turned out to be a little bit of a jerk.

In fact I beliee the only time they actually went with a stereotype was with the sloths for comedic purposes?
This is not the inker you are looking for.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Lupana wrote:So I saw the movie twice and I have a few thigs to say. Spoilers because.

Spoiler:

I love how Disney didn't follow traditional animal stereotypes. They made reference to the obvious "sly fox", "dumb bunny", "memory of an elephant" etc and whatever you expected they did the opposite. The elephant character had a horrible memory for example. Even Mr Big had the assumptive stereotype of being incredibly large and well, obviously wasn't. Also as a bonus, none of the wolves were made out to be bad guys! And the lion, usually an animal used in a prestigious position of power and authority, turned out to be a little bit of a jerk.

In fact I beliee the only time they actually went with a stereotype was with the sloths for comedic purposes?

Spoiler:

I agree with all of that. But sloths actually are very slow, unless there is danger, so it's not really a stereotype.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 am

Very true, Bruce.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal:180
November Challenge Progress:180
Location:In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:19 pm

So I wasn't going to go today because I'm behind of absolutely everything, but I've been feeling like crap, and my thyroid's been acting up again, so I said screw it, I'm taking myself to the movies. Good plan, too, because I'm energized now -- doubt I'm going to get everything on my list done, but I'm going to get more done than if I hadn't gone.

Wow. The hype was definitely justified. Loved the story, the environments, everything. I was really impressed with the smart portrayal of casual racism -- Judy's parents were good people, and so was she, but they had some deep-seated ideas that were really hard to shake loose (and Judy had to recognize that they were even there before she could move past them). The homages were great (The Godfather, Breaking Bad). And the street racer at the end was just well played XD
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Yes to the street racer! XD That was perfect.

So there's one more thing about the movie that I haven't been able to stop thinking about. During the big climax, I was totally expecting Nick to have actually been turned feral instead of it being just some big plan to get the bad guy to spill the evil plot. I'm wondering if it would have been stronger for him to have fought instinct and reverted back to his normal self on his own?

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Well true, but then we wouldn't have gotten that excellent "It's called a hustle honey" at the end - and maybe I'm thinking too hard about it, but there really is some character evolution just in that simple phrase. The first time when Nick says it to Judy, that's Judy finding out how real life works. The second time when Judy says it back to Nick, that's Judy embrasing how to actually get stuff done in the city. The final time when Judy says it to Asst Mayor Bellweather, that's Judy and Nick really coming together as a team, street smarts and investigative training, into something unstoppable. So how that compares to Nick actually fighting the feral instincts on his own, I don't know, but I thoroughly enjoy the payoff of a joke that is deeper than it first seems. Plus they make it out as if Night Howlers are almost impossible to overcome without medical treatment. Sure if Nick was able to best that it would show how strong of a person he is, but it would also weaken the strength of the other characters like Mr. Otterton. (sp?)

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Yeah, it works better how it was -- the savage animals were essentially hit with an imaginary curable form of rabies; strength of character can't fix that.

Though I do feel like I missed something... how did the cops know where to find them? Nick and Judy were buying time in the museum, and they seemed to know they'd waited long enough when they sassed Bellweather.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

Lupana
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Lupana » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:19 pm

All very good points. A part of me knew there had to be a reason why it was written that way but I was unable to think past my own brain for some reason. Thanks!

Now to wait until the movie comes out on DVD. *waits not so patiently*

Uzuri: Mm... Now I can't remember exactly but did the sheep in the abandoned train car call for backup maybe? I'm pretty sure Judy didn't call for other officers, so that option is out...

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:22 am

Uzuri wrote:Though I do feel like I missed something... how did the cops know where to find them? Nick and Judy were buying time in the museum, and they seemed to know they'd waited long enough when they sassed Bellweather.
Asst. Mayor Bellweather made a call like "an animal has gone savage, Officer Hopps is down!" and I'm pretty sure both the museum they were in as well as the police headquarters are near the center of the city - so it's not surprising that a large number of officers showed up about 2 minutes later - maybe the time is a tad compressed, but you have to figure that at least a few officers would have been within 2-3 blocks and run right over.

brwainer
STAFF
STAFF

Post by brwainer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:23 am

Lupana wrote:Now to wait until the movie comes out on DVD. *waits not so patiently*
I have the Bluray on pre-order. There's no official date yet but the rumors say June 7th. (Tuesdays are commonly the release days for home media)

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Ah, yeah, NOW I remember that happening -- complete with mockery.