Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Force Awakens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:57 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

At the risk of sounding like a complete nerd, has everyone here seen the new trailer?

http://youtu.be/sGbxmsDFVnE

Oh. My. God. Give me this movie now.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

Post subject: Re: The Force Awakens
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:44 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

I heard it came out, but I just watched it. Looks awesome! have you read any of the new lore from e.g. Wookiepedia? (Nerd flag raised high in the air!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Lol no I'm a nerd but not quite that deeply XD but I know a little bit from others who have read it. And the extended universe books

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:37 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

You didn't hear? Disney made all the existing extended universe books non-canon when they bought LucasArts. Or at least anything that happens after the end of the sixth (third) movie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Oh yeah I did know that much. I just haven't looked at anything new canon-wise from the wiki or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:57 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
Would like them to make the stuff that happened before the 4th movie not have happened ;)

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:26 am 
STAFF
STAFF

XD I actually like the prequels but I am not blind to the problems they have. I guess I just have good memories associated with them. But watching them as an adult, the romantic dialogue makes me cringe. But hey the actor portraying young Obi Wan (can't remember his name right now) is awesome I think. And I love the bromance between he and Anakin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:20 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

I just last night finally saw this movie! Loved it. I couldn't believe it was over already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:04 am 
STAFF
STAFF

I saw it as well!! The people I was with didn't like it, though... I don't have strong opinion since I'm not a huge Star Wars fan =w= Interesting seeing it as a grown up, though. Got different stuff from the franchise~

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:50 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

*SPOILERS PAST THIS POINT FAIR WARNING*

Spoiler:

Yeah I liked it a whole lot but I saw so many similarities to the original episode 4. Like really Disney? You couldn't do anything original? But I loved Rey an have a fes theories about her family origins lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:59 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Those are the exact criticisms I heard XD

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:13 am 
STAFF
STAFF

I loved it and have now seen it 3 times. But I have a lot of questions, like

Spoiler:

Rey's Origin (I don't think she's related to Luke at all, Mas said her family will never come back but Luke can), Can/will Kilo Ren redeem himself? Who is Snoak and how did he gain power? Snoak calls Kilo Ren the first of the Knights of Ren - does that mean First as in like the Spartan captain was called the First Spear, so just the leader, or does it mean First as in just literally the first, and he's not presumed to be better than other Knights who come after him? And is there going to be just one Master and one Apprentice, a la the Sith, or is there going to be an entire army of Knights? I feel like Snoak might be going for a whole army of Ren Knights, with Kilo Ren being the leader. Maybe Kilo means something like Leader or First? Is Luke going to be more of an Obi Wan (direct involvement) or Yoda (train and then disappear) type of master for Rey?

As for the similarities to the original Star Wars - you have to remember that Disney is treating this as a reboot of sorts, where they want you to get involved in their universe, which isn't going to end after movie #9. Notice how most of the posters and trailers don't say this was Star Wars 7. They don't want anyone to see 7-9 as the end of the Star Wars trilogy of trilogies, and to stop paying attention after that. I don't begrudge them using the tried and true formula, heck Return of the Jedi was basically the same plot too, but from here on out I expect they are going to be forging their own path. I definitely think Snoak is too smart to make a new Starkiller Base a la Return of the Jedi. I really enjoy (and so do my female relatives) that our new Jedi is female, and the friendship between Fin and Rey is excellent. I'll be happy for them regardless of whether they end up being engaged or not. Obviously we don't have the possible issue of them being unknowingly related like Luke and Leia had.

Han will be greatly missed, but I saw it coming when it was announced that Harrison Ford was going to reprise his role. Ford is getting up there in years, and he's expressed that he is looking at retiring for good, and that he doesn't really like going back to old characters. He hated playing Indiana Jones in the last movie, and although he hasn't said anything similar about Han, I'm sure he must on some level have thought that his involvement in Star Wars was finished long ago.

My extended family has been having frequent and protracted discussions about this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:44 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Lol yes while I didn't really consider many of your deeper concerns Bruce, I do echo your comments, especially about the "reboot" and the last couple paragraphs. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:06 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

This is a really interesting read on the use of ring theory in Star Wars. It was brought up that ring theory is ALSO why episode 4 and episode 7 are so similar - that it was a conscious artistic and storytelling choice.

Also, a SCATHING rebuttal of the plot holes that got brought up by the famous Huffington Post article: https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-gr ... 3095086277

It's quite acidic hahaha but it brings up some great points.

I LOVED the movie. It felt like what Star Wars ought to be. It felt right, especially after the ep I-III fiascoes.

Spoiler:

Rey is totally a Kenoby