[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Wolfmovie.com • View topic - The Dark Is Rising

Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dark Is Rising
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:32 pm 
Emeritus Staff

October 5th this year this comes out. Originally a book sequence of five, but now comes the film. I first saw this advertised in the cinema when going to watch Harry Potter 5, and my mum pointed out that she had the book - I took it on holiday, and have read 3 of the 5 so far. I'm enjoying it, and am looking forward to the film.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=802&item=0

Things that look as if they could be disappointing: the way they make it out as if Will Stanton, the youngest child out of nine, has a tough life at home. In the books, he actually has a semi-close bond with his brother Paul, one of the twins you see in the trailer that he knocks aside. And he doesn't exactly not get on with the rest. And considering the books are written by an English author and make clear the fact they are set in english places (Buckinghamshire is where the book the film will follow is set) means it's a bit disappointing that the film has an American actor playing the main character. I would have liked it to be like Harry Potter... it's not a big deal really, but just the little details that will bother me =P And even from the trailer you can see small manipulations in the plot that will bother me or maybe anyone else who's read the book.

I'm still interested to see what it's like, and how manipulated the plot actually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:07 am 
Alpha

the whole "he had an onderaniry life" thing is a bit of a cleche.
it also looks a lot like the never ending story, in a way.
but other than that, i think it looks pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 am 
Emeritus Staff

Dude, that makes me really sad. I remember loving the books as a kid, and the trailer doesn't inspire much hope. I'll probably skip this one and just reread the series. So much makeup and hair gel these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:53 am 
Alpha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:58 am 
Alpha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 pm 
Alpha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm 
Emeritus Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:02 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:53 am 
Emeritus Staff

Okay, this was a disappointing film. :sad:

SPOILERS?

The plot is so incredibly manipulated, that it's hard to believe it's actually based on the book. To make up for the fact the whole family is american, they spend a long time explaining that the father is a Physicist come to England for his job - kind of hard to believe, as surely England can't offer anything better than America. They also leave out the whole british folktales. The story is very based on King Arthur, but none of that is mentioned at all in the film.

They include a story behind Tom Stanton, who I think originally in the books was the first ever child of the Stantons, but died as a baby. In the film, they make Tom the main character's "long lost twin brother" who was stolen by the Rider as a two week old baby. At the end the family is reunited with Tom, as if it's normal for their kid who's been gone 14 years to return like that, no questions asked.

Other small things that don't work is that the beginning scene is of a supposed English school as it breaks up for Christmas, but it's so American. The lockers are American, and the kids aren't wearing uniform. Second, as the Stantons are on the bus back home, signs are shown with London written on them; I don't live in or near London so I don't know, but I'm pretty certain that everywhere surrounding London is pretty urban. Yet the Stanton's get off the bus in a small cosy little village. Odd?

The acting wasn't that great either. Even from Chris Eccleston, one of the most famous actors in the film. He didn't work at all as the Rider. =[

And my final complaint (=D) is the camera work and editting was horrible. They made a point of using flashing lights a lot in an attempt to make things seem more dramatic, but it just hurt your eyes and distracted from what was going on. The most important lines are said during those flashing lights, yet you can't see the actor at all so can't see his expression or anything. Plus a lot of the time it was very blurry or wobbly, which similarly distracted your attention from what was going on.

I think the directors knew they were on to a loser, because this film's hardly been advertised at all. =[ Oh well. I'll just read the book again instead =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:20 pm 
Alpha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:11 pm 
Emeritus Staff

ASoUFA? lol, sorry I'm not very good when it comes to abbreviations =P