American Live-Action Anime Remakes

The movies we like and why we like them. (non-animated)

Moderator: AWolf2B

Wolf_sister
Pack Member
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

American Live-Action Anime Remakes

Post by Wolf_sister » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:09 am

Has anyone noticed how many of these seem to be in the works lately? There was already Speed Racer, and the lineup for the future is full of potential disaster. There's plans for American remake movies of Death Note, Dragonball Z, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop, to my knowledge. Is Hollywood really this desperate? Are they so out of original ideas that they need to turn to anime remakes? And why can't they realize that those fantastic little gems like Cowboy bebop and Death Note are better left alone?

Stygian
Emeritus Staff

Re: American Live-Action Anime Remakes

Post by Stygian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:25 pm

I was about to rant, but I'm starting to wonder if it is all that bad? The only reason I wouldn't want to see these, is that they're japanese classics, particularly Akira. Using American actors and an american setting could ruin it. That, and I really don't like Hollywood movies. Also Death Note already has two live action movies... can't we just read subtitles? what can America do with the series that Japan can't?

I'll leave my ranting until after they've been released ;)

warpthrone
Alpha

Post by warpthrone » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:37 pm

I hope they dont kill off ghost in the shell.
And I have tea at midday and DINNER at 4pm. But some people say its the other way round. Those people are wrong. Grrr.
http://warpthrone.deviantart.com/ <-- I'm still alive!

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:27 am

They aren't out of original ideas, they're playing their audience.

Practically everything they're making had its heyday in the 80s. Guess which demographic currently has the most disposable income?

I think most of them are piss-poor ideas for movies, and won't ever end up as classics, but they do know what they're doing.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Marji4x
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180

Post by Marji4x » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Well they did an incredible job with Speed Racer, so it's not just pandering. If they keep that kind of quality up, they could do very well. I'm not against remakes, I think it can be fun to try to reinterpret a classic story.
Uzuri wrote:*gives Marj village idiot hat*
It's official!!!! >:D

Fellus
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Fellus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 pm

I think I heard a while back something like, Leonardo DiCaprio was a possibility for directing Akira. :huh: I'm not too excited about this one, but I do wonder how they'e going to pull it off. I'm not that into Japanese animation anyway, so I'll probably be giving all of them a miss, unless they do look very intriguing.

Queen Crocuta
Emeritus Staff

Post by Queen Crocuta » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:55 am

Blue told me of the Death Note remake and I instantly felt like killing myself, then killing those producers... or wait.. possibly the other way around :grrr

I mean come on, what are they THINKING? ARE they even thinking!? These are classics! This is animation! It makes me proud seeing that sort of stuff out there. Anime like that kills the whole "cartoons are for kids" thing. They have serious plots, fantastic characters, dynamic animation... sorry for the expression, but it's like these American producers piss on everything the Japanese animators fought for when they turn them all into live-action movies. Why not leave them alone? They've done their job and told their stories.

What if some Japanese nut decided that he wanted to make a live-action version of The Lion King? That is insane! I know I'm not giving these people any chance, and I'm ranting now, but... if I made an animated movie or series, I'd never let anyone touch it.
AKA SQUINCY!!
Join the Fuzzy Side of the Force...

Aleu
Alpha

Post by Aleu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Oh dear god, I will die if they make the Death Note and Cowboy Bebop. If I was a Japanese animator, I wouldn't even think of selling the ideas to Hollywood. :grump:

I know they'll destroy the story lines. As if they didn't already destroy most anime with cutting too much out of Dubs. :roll: (I don't mind Dubs. I just hate that they cut to much out of it.)

Please say it ain't so... :starsad:
DA Account

I want a snackpack. =(

Pawnee
Alpha

Post by Pawnee » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:41 am

ah great...I actually some animes. I enjoy watching cartoons and now hollywood is going to pull a stunt and take on a few more? I guess the graveyard of slaughtered disney movies hasn`t been filled...

p.s, wow, I can`t believe I haven`t posted on here in a while! :razz2:

Chibiabos
Pack Member

Post by Chibiabos » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm

*tries to imagine a live-action Wolf's Rain*
At long last, the saga of "Kaze, Ghost Warrior" by CGI animation visionary Amadhia Albee (formerly Tim Albee) is moving forward! Check out http://www.kazeghostwarrior.com/ for updates.

Pawnee
Alpha

Post by Pawnee » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:39 pm

well I think wolf`s rain would do okey....give or take some parts out. I could see some pretty boy actors playing the main guys easily...

Raptor
Alpha

Post by Raptor » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Man they'd better not fluff up Gits :grump: I have the DVD of 2 and watched both seasons of the anime series and cannot imagine how they are gonna pull off a live action version.

Even the jap live action version of deathnote was not as good as the anime series but was still enjoyable IF you hadn't read or seen the original :D

And a live aciton Wolf's Rain? hmm might be kinda hard as its more like a extended soap opera which might only appeal to a smaller demographic (ie us :razz: )