[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Wolfmovie.com • View topic - Avatar

Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avatar
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:30 pm 
Emeritus Staff

So, is anyone else as ridiculously excited to see this one as i am? =]

Post subject: Re: Avatar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:30 pm 
Emeritus Staff

im genuinely amazed that no-one replied to this thread. o_o

has no one heard of it?

and in case theres confusion, im not talking about "the last airbender", the live-action film based on Avatar: legend of Aang, the anime.

I'm talking about JAMES CAMERON's return to the big screen! His first movie release since Titanic in 1997.

and my GOD, it is just... amazing. words fail to describe the sheer beauty of the moon Pandora they have created. the Na'vi are stunning and the motion capture that Cameron and co developed is SO very different and so much BETTER than what we've seen before. they look REAL. the only reason you dont believe it fully is because their world is so different that it's too much to take in!

I went with a group of people to see it yesterday and almost ALL of them cried. more than once even! surprisingly, i didnt, for once XD and im the crybaby. But im almost certain that that is due to the fact i was sat with my mouth hung open from the sheer awe i was feeling. i was in too much shock to cry.

AHH. go see it. and tell me you dont love it... i dare you ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:53 am 
STAFF
STAFF

My main focus in theatre releases this year(slash next year *grumblegrumble*) is The Princess and the Frog, so I haven't really looked into many others to be honest XD And those of you who have already seen The Princess and The Frog, don't you dare post anything about it in this thread :P

I've heard that Avatar is supposed to be the most hyped film of the year, but I really haven't seen that much of it around here oO If I hear lots of good reviews I'll probably drag a friend along and go and see it, but otherwise it'll most likely be another of those films that just slip by me... xP

---

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:37 pm 
Emeritus Staff

the worst review i have seen of it was 3 stars, but that was an unreliable source from a writer who sounded uneducated and very very picky indeed. ie they were taking minute flaws and amplifying them, or as far as i could tell, making them up completely.

it is very hyped but for once it is one that deserves it. it is simply spectacular. it is a must see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:45 pm 
Emeritus Staff

Visually it was definitely good, and there were some scenes that were good but the story sort of lacked. Personally I felt that it didn't live up to the hype as much as it could have, although I'm not denying it was a good film. It just wasn't great. (personally)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:49 am 
Alpha

It's simply the prettiest film ever, and i honestly didn't think the story was too bad either. It defiantly left an impression.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:51 pm 
Emeritus Staff

theres no denying that its basically Pocahontas in space, but ya know what? Pocahontas is a great story! So hell, im not about to complain. stories dont get old as long as they are told well :) and for me, i felt that i could sympathise with the characters more than enough to care about what happened to them. n thats what its all about, right?

but still it seems like the story is what most people seem let down by. I don't really get it, personally, but oh well. i guess if you go in expecting the story itself to be awesome and different and such, yer gonna be disappointed. XD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:44 pm 
Emeritus Staff

I really want to say I loved this film but I just can't commit to it. My issue with the story is that it didn't captivate me - during those long-winded action scenes I would start daydreaming and thinking about other things. That to me is a sign of a film that's just failed to keep me hooked. I don't think I was expecting an amazing story but just one that was good enough to keep my interest and that justified making this film. And the visuals were absolutely amazing but I actually think I made the wrong decision to see this in 3D because it distracted too much from the visuals. You know how 3D forces you to have to look at what is in focus on the screen, because everything else is blurred? So, instead of being able to look around at the amazing scenery I felt like I couldn't because it would be blurred and instead I have to look at what the filmmakers want me to look at. It also just didn't jump out of the screen like some 3D does (there was once though when Sully was running through the rubble and kicking it up that I had to flinch cause I thought it was coming towards me x3)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

We actually went to see it today, and I thought it was great. My sister got in a funk though, for some reason, when we came home. I LOVED the specaillllllll efffffffeeecctttsss!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:47 pm 
Emeritus Staff

ahh really? I watched it in 3D and thought it made it even more stunning; i'd liken it to the way they used the effect in UP. kept it very subtle for the most part, with just a few were it really jumped out at you - the bit i remember flinching at waaas i think a piece of exploded chopper flyin at the screen haha.

i dunno. i think i just fell in love with Pandora, i cant stop thinking about how beautiful it was. im possibely going to see this again at the IMAX as a college trip, if our teacher sticks to his promise :cheese:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Yeah, Pandora, SO COLORFUL 8D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 am 
Emeritus Staff

So I read this:

http://www.animationmagazine.net/article/11132

Does anyone think it's ridiculous how disappointed Cameron is that none of the actors are nominated for Oscars? No, it's not because you haven't "educated" us about motion capture, we just don't think they were good enough actors to get Oscars for it. Personally I'm glad they aren't, they don't deserve it like some other people from other films do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:38 am 
STAFF
STAFF

As long as they don't make a sequel, as long as they don't make a sequel... :shadowshifty:

The ending was a part that I actually really, really liked (as opposed to the rest of it which I "only" thought was good, and not super-fantastic-mega-awesome as so many people claim it to be) and I'd very much like the story to end there...

---

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
Emeritus Staff

would like to point out that it was Landau who mentioned "educating", not Cameron...

buuuuut i think maybe they are overreacting xD tho personally I saw nothing wrong with the acting. I really liked CCH Pounder as Moat and Zoe Saldana did a great job. Neytiri is a nutter, but i think it suits.

i actually think it should win best film. i know the writing/plot is not the best.. theres been a lot of amazing stories out there recently. but the fact remains that Avatar brought people back to cinemas, over and over in many cases. Filmmaking is about escapism and he succeeded in that in the breathtaking world of Pandora. You can argue it all you want, say its just special effects, whatever... but its not. its imagination. its what they worked to create. and it looks like it took a LOT of work. i think they should be given recognition for sparking peoples interest and imagination so well. theres so much detail in that world, and i for one really appreciate it. i find the whole thing quite inspiring, which is a feeling i've gone without for a VERY long time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 pm 
Emeritus Staff

Yeah I agree and appreciate that, it should win some awards but what I mean is that it doesn't deserve to win everything. Personally Where the Wild Things Are sparked so much more inspiration in me than Avatar did, but that's just me :)