Production topics: How to make an animated movie

Moderator: AWolf2B

CopperTail
Alpha
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Post by CopperTail » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:53 pm

All is happy, some evil character ruins it, then the main character comes and saves the day, happy ending.

Not Lady and the Tramp (The baby wasn't evil. He also wasn't defeated, rather, Lady learned to share the attention with the baby)

Not Robin Hood (which started out with the evil character already has town ruined)

Not Aladdin (all was not happy for Aladdin nor Jasmine. Maybe for the palace...)

Not Bambi (Bambi did not come and save the day)

Cedarwolf22
Omega

Post by Cedarwolf22 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Stygian wrote:
Some Japanese films have far from simple animation (Miyazaki's work of course, perhaps some Otomo as well), and... sadly enough I don't think American animation has reached its potential. I do enjoy the LOOK of Disney animation moreso than that from Japan, but recently I've been less occupied with the appearance and more with the story told.

I shall have to see some of Miyazaki's stuff. I've only really watched FMA and Wolf's Rain =D By simple animation, I meant things like the mouth not actually moving in time with the voices, just moving up and down, and things like that ^^

Disney films are good the first view films you watch, but I find all their films have pretty much the same plot with just different characters. All is happy, some evil character ruins it, then the main character comes and saves the day, happy ending. Then again, they are made for children I guess :cheese:

I agree that the plots are getting annoying... particularly after this new "Golden Age" of animation where everything out of Disney HAD to be a musical to be accepted. And personally I think making it for children is no excuse XD Children are smarter than we think. Also, you have to entertain their adult counterparts. Something's been lost of that.

And yeah, the thing that irratates me about Japanese Animation is the mouth movements... the chin goes nowhere and freaks me out O_o

Audrey
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Audrey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:00 pm

That is a pretty standard plot line for many films in general. First you see the 'norm' whatever that may be, but it's how the character(s) exist in thier everyday life. Then you have a turning point event, things get bad, then then get a little better, then they get really bad, then there's a resolution and the new 'norm'. (Sometimes films end at the resolution)

It's not just a Disney thing.
_____
Throw me a freakin' Bone here...I'm the boss!

CopperTail
Alpha

Post by CopperTail » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:04 pm

Note my post above. Even Disney doesn't follow that sometimes. Wow, I'm accually DEFENDING disney. I've watched "Yours Mine and Ours" one too many times.

Cedarwolf22
Omega

Post by Cedarwolf22 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Audrey wrote:That is a pretty standard plot line for many films in general. First you see the 'norm' whatever that may be, but it's how the character(s) exist in thier everyday life. Then you have a turning point event, things get bad, then then get a little better, then they get really bad, then there's a resolution and the new 'norm'. (Sometimes films end at the resolution)

It's not just a Disney thing.

Haha, yeah. It's very formulaic, and it IS something everyone seems to follow in the industry. Whether it be movies or tv shows. The whole idea makes perfect sense, and it's not the idea itself, but the way it's told. Following those guidelines means the audience will understand it, and if it weren't for some sort of "evil" coming along you'd lose interest pretty quick.

Audrey
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Audrey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Even your other Examples Copper, still follow the formula.

Lady and the tramp:

Normal: Lady is the pampered pet/ Tramp lives his carefree life.
Plot twist: Lady meets tramp who sets up controvsial thoughts in Lady
Bad: The aunt comes and Lady gets muzzled
Things get better: Lady and Tramp fall in love
things get really bad: Lady and Tramp fight and she never wants to see him again
Resolution: The rat attack/tramps saves the day
New normal: Tramp gets accepted into the family

Bambi:

Normal: Bambi in the forest with mom
Plot twist: Learning about man
Bad: Mom dies
Things get better: He falls in love
Things get really bad: The fire
Resolution: Bambi takes his place as new Prince
New Normal: Back to the begining with new life and peace again in the forest.

It doesn't have to be about 'evil' or villians, but the plot line is still there. There are technical terms for all this, but I can't recall them at this time.
_____
Throw me a freakin' Bone here...I'm the boss!

lauren
Emeritus Staff

Post by lauren » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:33 pm

If you want something different, check out Grave of the Fireflies. It is semi-autobiographical.

AWolf2B
Emeritus Staff

Post by AWolf2B » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Cedarwolf22 wrote:
Stygian wrote:
Some Japanese films have far from simple animation (Miyazaki's work of course, perhaps some Otomo as well), and... sadly enough I don't think American animation has reached its potential. I do enjoy the LOOK of Disney animation moreso than that from Japan, but recently I've been less occupied with the appearance and more with the story told.

I shall have to see some of Miyazaki's stuff. I've only really watched FMA and Wolf's Rain =D By simple animation, I meant things like the mouth not actually moving in time with the voices, just moving up and down, and things like that ^^

Disney films are good the first view films you watch, but I find all their films have pretty much the same plot with just different characters. All is happy, some evil character ruins it, then the main character comes and saves the day, happy ending. Then again, they are made for children I guess :cheese:

I agree that the plots are getting annoying... particularly after this new "Golden Age" of animation where everything out of Disney HAD to be a musical to be accepted. And personally I think making it for children is no excuse XD Children are smarter than we think. Also, you have to entertain their adult counterparts. Something's been lost of that.

And yeah, the thing that irratates me about Japanese Animation is the mouth movements... the chin goes nowhere and freaks me out O_o

LOL Well be aware japanese is fast talking and (to us) is a bunch fo sounds. So it would look really odd(at least to an audience) to have them have completely realistic mouth movements, and take to long. I have seen anime's that have realistic mouth movements and it did't make muhc of a differece, IMO. That chin would be bouncing up and down nonstop if they put it in there. LOL
“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” - Dr. Seuss

"You judge a prostitute and a cook by the price you must pay to have them. The most expensive they are, the better they perform their Art"
- Athenaeus

Illigitimi non carbarundum!

Stygian
Emeritus Staff

Post by Stygian » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:49 pm

LOL Well be aware japanese is fast talking and (to us) is a bunch fo sounds. So it would look really odd(at least to an audience) to have them have completely realistic mouth movements, and take to long. I have seen anime's that have realistic mouth movements and it did't make muhc of a differece, IMO. That chin would be bouncing up and down nonstop if they put it in there. LOL

True, lol :cheese: maybe that's one of the reasons the animation is simple, so as not to look weird :o.O:

It looks even weirder when the anime is in english xD

AWolf2B
Emeritus Staff

Post by AWolf2B » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Stygian wrote:

True, lol :cheese: maybe that's one of the reasons the animation is simple, so as not to look weird :o.O:

It looks even weirder when the anime is in english xD

I don't think so about it looking odd with anime in english. I always prefer a well done dub over subs. Though if the dub sucks, i'll take subbed(Shaman King is one, Naruto another, ect.). :P
“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” - Dr. Seuss

"You judge a prostitute and a cook by the price you must pay to have them. The most expensive they are, the better they perform their Art"
- Athenaeus

Illigitimi non carbarundum!

Rabid Child
Pup

Post by Rabid Child » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:36 pm

Off topic yet not. Here's an attempt of a wolf running. It's extremely inaccurate, I know xD I used a whole buch of photos taken of wolves running and just attempted to put em together....blah

I did it in like, 10 minutes....during history class. hehe!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... an0001.jpg

CopperTail
Alpha

Post by CopperTail » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:44 pm

Its looks more like a lion running to me..... (The run, not the body shape)

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:51 pm

No, it's certainly a wolfish run, especially in the legs, just a little over-exaggerated in spots. Primarily, the back is too flexible, which gives it the cat-like qualities.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

lauren
Emeritus Staff

Post by lauren » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:52 pm

Agreeing with Uz, but for a stylish run, it is awesome! :love:

Efi Wild
Pup

An excelent running cycle found

Post by Efi Wild » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:36 am

This image belongs to the fabulous artist Akela Taka, you can see more art at http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/AkelaTaka/

:cheese:
Stray! No regrets cause I´ve got nothing to lose...