[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Wolfmovie.com • View topic - Animators, Inkers, Colourists?

Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animators, Inkers, Colourists?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am 
Pup

hi again! So How about some definisions?

I was a Little confused :blush:

Ok, so what would an animators job be? do they draw the frames, then send it to be inked and cloured and then they animate it.
Or does someone else draw and they only animate It? :o.O:
And Inkers and colourists don't draw the frames, they ink and colour someone elses drawings?

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks in advance! :silversmile:
And happy 2014!

Post subject: Re: Animators, Inkers, Colourists?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:13 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Hello Strawless!

I can't speak exactly for Wolf's whole personal system for how they're doing this, but this is the general gist of those particular processes you mentioned: The animators sketch out the animation, each frame traditionally. I think there are, or at least were, a few people acting as separate inbetweeners for some of the Wolf scenes and they will draw a few frames in between the main animation poses. It can be quite rough, so once each frame/piece of paper has been scanned the Inkers come in to play to make the the lines clearer using a digital brush, and keep the frames on model. Then when that all flows, it then goes to the colourists to colour digitally, then it goes to effects artists and whatnot to really get the frames working together again.

A few people are doing some of all these stages. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:25 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
Fellus pretty much has it except that we don't have inbetweeners any more (turns out that nobody qualified wants to do this incredibly un-fun job for free ;) ) and that 100% of new animation is being done digitally. It's still rough, so it still needs inking, but pencil on paper is essentially gone. Even I did the math and got a Cintique instead of buying paper by the mile.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:51 pm 
Pup

Thanks I was a little confused! I might apply as an inker sometime if I perfect it so I got to learn a little more! I was just making sure I didn't bite off more than I could chew :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

It's a shame to hear the pencil to paper part isn't happening anymore, but it saves the laborious task of scanning, that's for sure. :p

Ooh yes, your help would be greatly appreciated as an inker if you find that you are able, Strawless. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:52 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
Scanning/placement fixing would take me twice as long when working with paper as digitally, and it confuses the hell out of the inkers sometimes if the placement isn't just right.

But it's all still traditionally animated -- we're not doing CAD stuff, no predictive tweening, no stretching with the computer, that sort of thing.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:32 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Don't worry Fellus I am still stubbornly flipping dead trees for this project!

....when I'm around. So once in a great while there is some paper and pencil animation going on xD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 am 
Pup

I draw the frames on paper then I scan them and paste the mouth on. I can't draw on a computer without drawing it first on paper, I get the proportions wrong. one ears bigger then the other the eye is to round and so on and so forth :razz2: