[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Wolfmovie.com • View topic - Patreon n' Junk

Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patreon n' Junk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:18 pm 
Pup

Howdy! I had another account on here eons ago but I forgot the password and the email account I even registered with so I just re-registered.

So I know the topic of Kickstarter has come up, but this project doesn't really fit the bill for it, given how long-term it is. But have y'all considered, like, Patreon? It might be sufficient to, like, pay for the web hosting and maybe buy the animators paper and stuff like that. I'd support it. The idea came up because I came across another gentleman making an animated film with a Patreon campaign. It's right here, if you'd like to take a look: https://www.patreon.com/MyDadtheGiant?ty=h

Having a Patreon might also help the project get more visibility, as I feel like a lot of people have forgotten than y'all are still working on this. But anyway, that's my quick little light bulb for the day. As you were.

Post subject: Re: Patreon n' Junk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:38 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Hiya! Well, just speaking for myself, I don't need any help paying for my time or software. I think at this point everyone is doing work on their computers, so no paper and pencil costs anymore. And I always got the impression that our webhosting situation was secure? I would certainly step up myself if we had an issue with that - my understanding is that we're on a pretty simple web hosting plan.

Do you have any ideas for what the patreon payment setting would be? Per released shot on youtube? Per month?

Lastly, Patreon as an advertising tool is interesting, because we really just need more people involved.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:41 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Yeah like Bruce said, our biggest need right now is getting steady workers. The people working now are awesome, but we all end up putting Wolf on the back burner because of school, work, and family obligations. If we had more people we would be able to create more shots without anyone feeling pressured. Personally, I tend to work in spurts. One month I'll ink maybe 7 different shots until life catches up and then I don't do anything for another month. Doesn't make me very reliable xD

The concern I have with this Pateron though is that to get the money for your project you need to output something. Uzuri's expressed her discomfort with this before; if we release too much we could end up showing the movie in it's entirety before we want to! There would be spoilers all over the web and then everyone would be upset. Just a bad situation.

If there's any way to just gain support though and spread the word? That may be the best option overall.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:43 pm 
Pup

That's a good question about the payment schedule thing! Most projects are a per-month thing, but I know a lot of youtube animator people do a per-cartoon thing. The thing about Patreon that I like, from a patron standpoint, is that I feel like I'm actively helping make a project (or an artist's livelihood in many cases) move forward. I also really like getting to see sketches and things like that. I know y'all obviously don't want to have too much of the movie released early, but maybe you could post things, like, previously unreleased concept art? or single frames or background layouts? Or even illustrations of the characters that aren't necessarily from the film. That'd be cool to look at. Just little things that say "Hey folks, check out this content, we're still working on this."

I just think it'd maybe help breathe new life into the film in terms of people supporting the project. Earlier this year I mentioned the film to a furry acquaintance of mine and his response was something to the effect of "God, they're still working on that??" I feel like most people forgot. D= But I'd like them to remember.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:55 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:48 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
Yeah, our problems are not with money (or at least, not problems money would solve; due to a history of not paying anyone, and some weird early contract issues, it would be a nightmare to try to switch to paying people... and trust me, I've lost a lot of sleep trying to figure out how to pull that off).

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:23 am 
STAFF
STAFF

As soon as you pay someone, you have to pay everyooooone. It gets some hefty figures at some point.

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:14 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Patreon might be a good idea if we ever really needed help with the web hosting, but I think it's not an issue currently. Like everyone else said, the movie getting made isn't money-dependent; it's staff-dependent. :)

By the way, I remember reading about My Dad the Giant on the Don Bluth animation forum a long time ago! I especially remember the design of the kid. I'm glad to see that he's still working on it.