Marji4x
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Goal: 180
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Re: Improve yourself! Ask the artist.

Post by Marji4x » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:24 pm

I actually really love this character design! There's a lot of nice subtle stuff going on that makes it really distinctive, like the proportions and the nose. I think the far right pose *is* leaning BUT I am not sure if this is a mistake? If you pushed it just a hair more it'd look like he was leaning or rather slouching a bit, which is maybe part of his character?

But if it's not supposed to slouch then own up and fix it, bwahaha XD

I am so happy to see the guiding lines and that you kept everything strictly lined up. So many people try to just do a rotation with no guidelines and it's just so much more of a headache!

My one real critique would be the hands on the last view look like the thumbs are closer to the viewer whereas they should be on the far side on the opposite of the hand. You may just need to draw a little more of the palm of the hand to show that this is the case:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x239 ... ure1-1.png
Uzuri wrote:*gives Marj village idiot hat*
It's official!!!! >:D

Grey_Wolf
Emeritus Staff

Post by Grey_Wolf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks so much for the reply Marj! I'm happy to know you like the design :)

I see what you mean about the thumbs, gonna fix that! And the slanting wasn't intended, I guess, so I'm going to fix it too.

Also, gotta say that I thought of you when I did the guiding lines XD

again, thanks for the advice, means a lot!

JackDewick
Pup
November Challenge Goal: 0

Post by JackDewick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:29 pm

:jackhuh: I was sitting up sketching a character the other day when I was like, "how do you put the character in a background without having to try resketching the background?"

At the moment I ain't very good at sketching stuff exeactly how it was before, and I was pretty sure that moving scenery might disturb someone! :cheese: how do you guys put a character somewhere without all the White bits showing around him where your paper had at one point been?
Allow me to cut the slack gentlemen, China Man Rules!

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF
November Challenge Progress: 180
Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters

Post by Uzuri » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Ideally you want to plan everything out ahead of time so that you're happy with the composition and don't have to go moving things around. In other words, draw LIGHTLY and work on everything at the same time. Don't draw in your background leaving gaps for you characters (or draw in your characters and then your background) and then change your mind. If you're moving stuff around, you're kind of out of luck (assuming you don't have a light table; then you can trace everything in bits, but you tend to lose the extemporaneity you had to start with).

Lightly rough everything out first. You've seen the "circle method" for roughing out living creatures, no doubt? Well, do that for your background, too. Mountains become rough triangles and cubes, trees are a lot of truncated cones and cylinders, hills are just rough curves. Rough in your characters lightly. If you don't like where they are, now's the time to move them since you haven't invested too much in your background and what you do lose to the eraser can be easily roughed back in. Once everything's where you want it, then go back and add details and darken lines.

I'm assuming we're talking traditional artwork here. If you're working digitally, just use lots of layers. Problem solved.
Zib, go suffer for your art.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Koeyohte
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal: 100
November Challenge Type: Character model - Luna

Post by Koeyohte » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:40 pm

What Uzuri said :P

What is the sketch for, just out of curiosity? Is it just for fun, and not meant to be finished and all that, or is it going to be completed, colored (if in color), or whatever method you could use to finish it? If that made any sense.

~Koey
Tumblr - http://koeyohte.tumblr.com/
Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/DreamWolfCraf ... _shop_menu
DeviantART - koeyohte.deviantart.com

JackDewick
Pup

Post by JackDewick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:36 pm

:cheese: just me and my friend came up with an idea, he has written a book and asked me to animate with him, I was just curious how I should do the background, oh and yes Uzuri, it's traditional! I kinda thought that if I was doing a background, I thought I was supposed to draw the background, then put my character on it in the computer... Obviously not, I guess I am supposed to draw the background individually with each frame by copying? Or did I get your meaning wrong? :jackhuh:

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Oh, are we talking about animation?

OK, things get interesting there. Watch me go off on a tangent for a minute.

Way back when traditional animation meant that you had to do everything in front of the camera, animation studios made use of glass and acetate to layer things. The first layer of a background was painted much like any painting. Additional layers (for shots using the Multiplane Camera) were painted on glass, leaving clear openings for viewing lower layers. Then characters were drawn on paper and transferred -- either by a person with an ink pen or later by xerography (see 101 Dalmatians) -- to big clear sheets. Everything was layered together and a single frame was shot on the camera. The character was removed, the next frame of the character put in place (and any multiplane adjustments made), and another frame shot.

Modern "traditional" animation is pretty much done all on the computer -- painting, drawing, you name it. So it's done essentially the same way, using layering with clear background on the character layersl. I wish I was on my Mac, I could show you a screenshot of what my FCP workspace usually looks like (on the other hand, that might be even more confusing).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want to animate physical pencil (or marker or whatever) drawings over a physical background after they've been scanned into the computer. This is next to impossible to do neatly -- or at least it takes a huge amount of effort. Here are a couple ways it can be done:

-Multiply your character layer over your background. The downside is that the background will now show through your character. This is only really useful for test shots (watch the first part of this to see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/silverskystudio# ... _UK-nXSc4Y), before digitally inking your animation.

-Cut out your characters before layering them on your background. This is what you're doing. You know the downside.

-Combine a multiply effect with a character mask. This is time consuming and a little hard to explain. What you would do for this is make a cutout, in white with transparent background, that closely matches or is slightly inside but never outside your character's outline for each frame. Layer the mask on top of your background and your character on top of the mask. Set *only* the character layer to multiply. What you get then is the first method I mentioned -- except that the mask is now blocking the background from the inside of the character. The background may show through slightly in your character's outline, but it's pretty harmless there. I do this occasionally in test shots with a very dark layout or with a lot of character interaction, so that I can see my character. You can actually use this method to get a colored character as well by replacing the white mask with a colored one! That retains your pencil lines, but gives you nice smooth computer coloring.

Wolf just uses inkers to avoid all these issues. The animators animate however they like and the inkers ink all the lines digitally -- voila! No white specks anywhere. You loose some spontaneity, but you make major gains in productivity, so it depends on what you're going for.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

JackDewick
Pup

Post by JackDewick » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 am

Wow... That was like revelation, so basically you mean that I should make the background, then make the character in a different sheet of paper, then later when I put the two together, I should ink the two peices, and then when I put them together there won't be any White bits? O-O I gotta say, that is knowledge! Thanks Uzuri, tell me if I'm wrong!!!

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah, that basically sums it up. There are other ways, but that's the easiest.

JackDewick
Pup

Post by JackDewick » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:28 pm

XD revelation... how sweet the sound... thanks Uzuri! Easier the better in my case!

Azura
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Azura » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm always dependent and needing help on animation.. xD Here I am again.

My most recent animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYSGCAjtnQ

As usual with all my animations I'm sure I'm missing a *lot* of frames, but I'm not sure where I should focus on adding more frames to make it smoother..? I concentrated on how the legs should move and when to move, but it still looks skippy and frame-needy. I'm also not sure if I'm moving the entire body enough to come across that the dog's trotting. How far exactly should I move the shoulders/head up if that's the case? Any kind of critique/info/tip is much appreciated. (: Thanks in advance!
╔════════════ Former inker, current BG artist ═══════════╗
Theatre technician by average day and night- visual artist by full moon
╚═════════════════════❖═════════════════════╝

Uzuri
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Uzuri » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm not sure you need more frames as it is that it's running too slow (general rule of thumb: you should always have at minimum 12 drawings per second. If you're using a program that want frame duration in seconds, that's 83.3333333 milliseconds per frame, but really, if you're using something like that, get a better program), but I can't really tell because YouTube is pretty difficult to analyze animation with.

If you don't already have it and are serious about animation, get The Animator's Survival Kit: http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Surviva ... 197&sr=8-1

It will answer all your questions in a way that none of us can really do on this forum. None of these are really simple "tips" as such, there's a lot involved.

(There's a video coming up as related that's a good one to look at as a reference, though, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqf1TZb ... re=related)

Azura
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Azura » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:33 pm

I've sped up the animation now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxRcFat8iy0

I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker to put the frames together since every other free program I've tried (such as MonkeyJam) have crashed on me or been extremely slow. Also, it's kind of funny, because that same exact YouTube trot cycle you showed me is the one I referenced off of for mine. I'll see about getting that book, but for the level of seriousness I'm at for animating is simply to be able to do it. I'll be taking 3D animation classes when the school year starts back up again (which I know 3D animating does get created differently, but has a same basis with frames possibly?) and I would like to have experience in both types. Also, if I get well enough in animation as I go, I'd possibly be interested in applying for here which is why I ask for so many critiques in my animation because I know I'm nowhere close.

JackDewick
Pup

Post by JackDewick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Emily, a good program to use is Adobe Flash, now I know it's really expensive, trust me, I haven't got it either, :wink2: - OK, maybe I have it at school - but you can get the trial run for it! Check it out, it's hell's better than what I used before! But if you get hooked on it, here's an idea, try entering competitions to produce some income for yourself! You never know who might get really impressed with your work! :jacksmile:

Azura
STAFF
STAFF

Post by Azura » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 am

Rofl, someone help me.. please. You can ignore the tail, because I know that part's completely whacked and needs to be redone.
Doberman run cycle?
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... 1330487538

I used this guide, screencapped from this video.