Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Practicing Silver
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Silver is always tricky for me because of all her markings, so I decided to take a break from my current shot and practice her a little. There were a few sketches from her character pack that I really liked so I just inked and colored them for the heck of it :)

http://orig08.deviantart.net/d683/f/201 ... 9rqk26.png

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

Post subject: Re: Practicing Silver
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:42 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
Ooo, those look really nice completed XD

Silver IS tough (and if you think inking her is bad, try animating her). I've found that the less I worry about the markings and the more I just worry about getting her structure right, the better off I am. The real pain is that line of fluff between her cheek and her ear, but after you've drawn her 100,000 times, even that starts to get easier.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:03 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Yes! That little silvery stripe between her top coat and undercoat is tricky for me, and it probably wouldn't be if it was a different color, because I get it mixed up with her undercoat all the time! I do love her design though; she's stunning and very beautiful but my goodness XD

I also think what I find tricky isn't so much wondering what line goes where, but what COLOR that line is supposed to be! I ignore color at first and just ink everything black and then go back and color, but man it's hard to make sure the colors are correct.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:11 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Yeah, color's particularly tough on Silver -- I know early on we had some trouble even determining what color SHOULD be where, and that was with easy poses. I think that's ironed out now, but it's still sometimes hard to decide in a particular frame.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:58 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Wow Lupana! The poses you inked and colored look awesome! :) :cheese: :love: I agree that coloring her is hard too; I always have to have her reference sheet in front of me when I color her!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:16 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Honestly I have trouble with everyone but I haven't had a chance to animate Silver yet! I'm sure she will give me just as much trouble xD

It's especially bad though when I can't animate a character I helped design (like the pups lol) :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:53 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

That is basically me with humans. I have to take extra long just to make sure they're anatomically right and it makes me feel sad T.T

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:08 am 
STAFF
STAFF

I've found that the more time you spend perfecting the keys, the faster you can complete the tweens. So it's not the end of the world if something makes you slow down and look harder at what you're animating :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:58 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

I still have a horrible time with humans. I can't draw them comfortably without a firm reference and about 10 erasers XD. Inking isn't too bad because I have a sketch already from someone else :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:56 am 
STAFF
STAFF

I'm really learning that as well XD I'm taking 2D character and, with each class I take, I seem to be improving a lot. I decided to do a human for my most recent assignment, and geez, does it look bad when I try to get everything within the key at once. I'm definitely the person who starts off with a bunch of scribbles and kind-of gestures XD I'm super rough.... which makes clean-up a pain, especially considering keeping things on model is probably my weakest point.

See, I've been trying to do some without references... Or from a lot of live references. I've noticed all my humans have a little bit of me-anatomy in them...

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26