Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum etiquette (All posters are required to read)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:00 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
OK since we're getting more popular here, and bringing in more folks (and, it seems, younger folks), Maria suggested that we make it clear what's acceptable and not acceptable on these forums. Every community relies on some ground rules to keep things plesant for the community members. When a community is small, the rules are often unwritten -- and sometimes even unsaid -- but as the community grows, there is often benefit in formalizing the rules.

General etiquette rules are as follows:

Be nice: Don't insult, degrade, or harass people. The "just joking" defense won't save you if you end up hurting someone's feelings.

Keep it clean:

Stay on topic: The Cafe is for off-topicness, so you don't have to be off-topic in the other threads.

Don't use this forum as a personal chat: There's a whole thread on this; Read it. There are also instructions on how to use the IRC chat, kindly provided by Baph.

Don't double post: Staff can double post to bump their topics in the staff boards, and Mods and Admins can double post to bump an announcement. Fan Fiction writers can also double-post, but we ask you to post substantial chunks in each post when you do this. If you need to add to your last post elsewhere, edit it.

Don't use "AOL-speak", or "leet" as it's sometimes known. "u", "srry", "4", "2", "ur", and other such monstrosities are extremely hard to read -- don't insult other members of the boards by insisting that they parse through your bad typing. This will get you personally drawn and quartered by Uzuri.

In the Fan Fiction and Fan Art forums, don't resurrect old threads: In most other forums, it's acceptable to bump an old thread if you have something substantial to add.

Avoid Quoting the entire post of the person immediately before you: There are exceptions: a) you may quote a post if you know you're going to break the thread across pages and b) you may quote a small portion of the previous post to highlight it.

In Books, Movies, and Animation mark your spoilers: If you're starting a thread that's likely to attract spoilers, use (Spoilers) or (Possible Spoilers) in your thread title. If you post a spoiler in a thread that's not marked, user the "spoiler" BBCode tag (if you don't know how, ask around). Please err on the side of caution here, so that people who don't want to see spoilers won't.

Please do not advertise your own animated film project here: Posting a clip in the sandbox with a request for crit is OK, as is mentioning a project you're working on in passing, but posting a thread to talk about the project itself is not. Posting about school projects with a request for critique or help is acceptable, as we do like to encourage young animators. Posting to request voice or artistic help, or simply to get your project name out there is not acceptable. If you're not sure if your project falls under this rule contact a staffer. We're also willing to discuss affiliation agreements with project managers; for that, contact Audrey.

Content warnings: Like spoilers, sometimes it's polite to warn people about what they're getting into before they click. For now, the only content warning we have is (RC) to denote a religious discussion (please remember that the rule about not bashing religions or non-religions still stands, even in threads marked RC). More may come in the future. Marked threads still must adhere to all other forum rules!

Wolf Cafe: Here is the original Cafe. Please read it before posting in the current Cafe. The first page of the current Cafe has the rules -- read them before posting. We don't warn in the Cafe, we just delete.

Breaking these rules once will get you warned; breaking them multiple times may result in the offending posts being deleted without warning or explanation.

Please keep in mind that enforcing these rules often requires a judgment call, and mods sometimes make mistakes. Be patient with us, and if you disagree with a decision, PM the mod who made it politely.

Banning Offenses

No normal user has ever gotten permanently banned, but I'll list some common (and fairly universal) reasons for deleting users and banning names, just to get them out there.

Continued harassment
Trolling: Stirring up people intentionally. This one's often a hard call, and some people will consider any disagreement to be trolling, but we'll only ban if someone is clearly out to make trouble.
Spamming

Niceties

Not obeying the following won't get you banned or punished, they're just polite suggestions:

Avoid posting long links or big images that stretch out the board. With large images, link to them rather than embedding them in your post. Long links can benefit from the use of the URL bbcode. You can also use http://www.tinyurl.com/ to make little links and post them.

If I've missed anything, please let me know, but I think I've covered everything.

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Last edited by Uzuri on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:49 pm 
Emeritus Staff

No need to directly quote someone who posted right before you, you can just answer?

"You judge a prostitute and a cook by the price you must pay to have them. The most expensive they are, the better they perform their Art"
- Athenaeus

Illigitimi non carbarundum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Ah, yes. Consider it added.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:34 pm 
Voice Talent
Voice Talent

I know this might be considered spamming but I wanted to congratulate you Uzuri on setting up some fine rules! :love:

Ooh! Wait! Don't come here to flame Wolf! Dunno if you've had to deal with yet but you might wanna get it out in the open that "you don't join a Wolf Forum to flame a movie people are working so hard to create..." X__x;; You'd be surprised how bored people can get...

- Tinker Jet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:07 pm 
Pack Member

yea..this thread has my name all over it.....darn.

.R.I.P.STEVE IRWIN 22/02/1962-04/09/2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:20 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

LOL Tink, that's covered under "Trolling" and is a bannable offense :) In fact, that pretty much defines trolling; going to a fan site and posting negative things about what the fans like. Not that there's anything wrong with critique, but there's usually a pretty clear line between trolling and critiquing -- to quote "Get Fuzzy" a "big fat glow-in-the-dark line!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:30 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Note that a new section has been added about spoilers.

I guess I always thought that marking spoilers went without saying :) Guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:34 am 
Alpha

Btw you need to update the chat section with the new IRC stuff. :wink2:

"If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, he will die unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy."-Fabius Bile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:46 am 
Wolf Animation Challenge Participant

Might want to consider adding a rule for advertisements if doesn't exist already in another rules sticky. Also note that unacceptable links, avatars and signatures might need to be mentioned in the rules here as well. I don't know if the rules vary per forum category as I have not checked.

~Kay Fedewa

"Man I want some Shoes of Peace. Then I could really kick some arse."

~Uzuri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:57 am 
Alpha

Great choke them out from sigs too! People might magically be sucked into helping in a project! *GASP* We've been fine for all this time we do not a stupid rule like that.

"If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, he will die unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing misery and death to billions, his name will echo down the millennia for a hundred lifetimes. Infamy is always more preferable to ignominy."-Fabius Bile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:18 am 
Emeritus Staff

No advertisements for competing projects has always been a rule. I believe the bit about signatures had more to do with inappropriate things like, say, a nude photo. Is that correct Fasten?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:57 am 
STAFF
STAFF

I think sigs are covered by the "keep it clean" rule. I'll add advertising since it's been kind of an unwritten rule up until now.

I don't think we should have to lay out everything you can and can't do in black and white. Even the law doesn't do that; that's why we have lawyers. I get a little tired of the quibbling and the expectation of drawing a hard line. If you're afraid of crossing a line, don't push it, and if you plan to push the issue don't be surprised when it results in deletion; it's really that simple. Rules are kind of a discovery process anyway, it's very hard to sit down and think of all the stupid and detrimental things people might do before they do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:06 am 
Wolf Animation Challenge Participant

Yes I was referring to objectionable siggies.

Uzuri. To prevent future problems, we need to make sure the rules are clear. I don't expect you to write every rule in the book. Thats not the goal of my reply. All I want is for more clarity as to what is acceptable and what is not. I don't know every unwritten rule myself. I know alot of it is common sense and thats all.

~Kay Fedewa

"Man I want some Shoes of Peace. Then I could really kick some arse."

~Uzuri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:38 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you, fasten, it was kind an all-around whine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:11 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Updated the rules to include a request that new members read the first page of the current Cafe before posting in it.