Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodbye Sugar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:44 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
So Mom's dog had to be put to sleep last night.

I say Mom's dog, because Sugar decided she was Mom's dog, but she was the replacement for my Cocker Spaniel who died young, and she meant a lot to all of us. I never met a smarter dog. She believed she could talk in "people", and that we were all just really slow -- she'd often pause to see our response, and when we were wrong, she would repeat herself precisely. She once gave me an hour long lecture when I brought Arf, the giant stuffed wolf, home from Anthrocon. She had words for different things that we did eventually catch on to ("food", "biscuit", "pepper"). In old age she tolerated us when we didn't guide her so well on the way out the door and she bumped into walls, and she maintained a mental map of the main part of the house so that she could walk freely even though she was stone blind. She knew when Mom wasn't around, even when completely blind and deaf, and we still have no idea how that was the case.

She had all the corgi traits -- the weird excited hop, the use of her paws as "hands", the grin, the big mouth, the weird method of navigating stairs. She licked ankles at first, until Mom accidentally kicked her in the nose when Sugar sneaked up on her, and learned immediately that that wasn't a smart idea. Her jaws were so strong that she popped two bars on her cage. She could dig in so hard and get such leverage at a run that she had to wear a large dog's collar with an extra hole poked through it with a hot nail so she wouldn't break the nylon. She was really good with kids. If she forgot herself and bit you, she'd immediately apologize (you didn't even get a chance to get mad at her first). She had eyeglasses when she was young, but as her fur grayed out, she lost them. If she ran at full speed at your shins you'd better move them or lose them. I once taught her to say "I love you" for Goldfish crackers.

She was 16 1/2. This was Sugar in her much, much younger days: http://uzuri.deviantart.com/art/Sugar-21162795

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Post subject: Re: Goodbye Sugar
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Awh, what a sweet dog (fitting name!!). So sorry to hear about this :( Pets become so important to our lives that it is literally losing a loved one when they pass on. I remember my old Pomeranian was 14 when we had to put her down two years ago, she had sort of the same mannerisms and would try to talk to us XD When we would go for a walk she would do the "circle dance"... she'd just run around our group round and around galloping at full speed. It was hilarious- like she was trying to herd us??? XD It was so cute though. Sugar sounded like she had quite the personality. My condolences while you guys go through this heartbreak u.u

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:53 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

So sorry for your loss. 16 is very old for a small dog so it sounds like she lived a good life. Never makes it any easier though. My mom's little Westie, Angus (or Gus for short) is getting up there now, 11+ years old, and I know it's going to kill her when he passes. That dog lives for her. When she's not home he lays at the front door and waits for her. He likes to sass you too and it's hilarious. His favorite toys are these little rubber ducks that we found found for just a few dollars and he tosses them around and plays just like a puppy!

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

There's a bit of a downside to improved care meaning longer lives for pets -- you have a longer time to really get to know them. Sugar made it 3 years past the average for a corgi. She was a fluffy, too, so the numbers on their health are a little off, since no one really knows if the mutation is linked to anything else.

Mom wasn't sure what to do with her now for about a year; she was definitely not moving so well any more, and we knew she had liver disease. But she was still happy. I kept telling everyone that she'd tell us when it was time, and she did. What finally got her was nasal squamous cell carcinoma; in a young dog we might have tried treating, but it was time.

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:46 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Yes, when they get something like that at her age, it's best they go peacefully and with no pain. I hate to see any animal suffer but it especially isn't fair to keep an old dog alive like that when they do get sick.

"Where is he going? He's going into freezing coldness to find a dog he doesn't like to bring medicine back to a town that doesn't like him!"
http://lupana.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:45 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Sugar looks so fluffy and sweet :love: Sorry for the loss....

I had a white Pomeranian when I was real young. In fact, she was a year or two older than me. She looked kinda like this: http://childrenstorytales.com/wp-conten ... ranian.jpg

We lost her when I was 8 or 9, maybe 10... which was around the time my parents got divorced. Her name was Niketa and she was much more friendly with me than my brother. In fact, my brother was scared of her. She was probably just sick of all the baby-nonsense I did to her, so she wasn't as patient with him once he came around. I mostly just remember she barked a lot, to the point that drove my parents crazy, and loved this Winnie the pooh slipper she stole from my dad. My mom put her down when she was around 10.

My mom got a mini poodle- of whom is named Pepper. She looks like this:
http://www.demedicipoodles.com/AuroraLe ... ring08.jpg

She's still going. She's a bit snooty and is definitely a night dog. She spends the morning completely knocked out.

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:06 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

I never knew Poms came in white!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:14 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

I've had so many albino pets in my life, I'm used to seeing everything in white XP Though, she was more like a cream.... (She wasn't albino at all..)

"For what would it profit him if he gained the whole world but looses his soul?"~Matthew 16:26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:05 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

Very sorry for your loss. It's never easy when the time comes, but at least she lived a long life with people who cared for her.