Wolf: The animated feature

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever seen a real wolf?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:01 am 
Alpha

Just wondering who here has actually been lucky enough to have seen real live wolves? I would love to hear about your experiences. Its sorta one of my life goals to see wolves in the wild.
Ive seen a wolf before, but it doesn?t really count because I was like 5 or 6yrs old and can hardly remember it. We where at some zoo somewhere and there was some sorta wolf ambassador thing going on. I just barley remember seeing a big black wolf on some kind of stage with a trainer or something, I remember being pissed off because I wanted to pat it but wasn?t allowed to

There aren?t any wolves down here unfortunately. Actually now that I think about it, there aren?t any interesting animals at all, just fat flightless birds, possums, and rats.

Anyway If you have had the pleasure of seeing a wolf with your own eyes please tell about it.

Our Father, who art in Krebari, hallowed be thy glass.Give us this day our daily splash, and forgive us our hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil…and somebody give us all a ride home-TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:08 am 
Emeritus Staff

When i was at a horse ranch i saw one. They were telling me he was pure bred wolf, what he was doing with a family i don't know(he seemed pure bred or at least 95% pure). He was a sweet and husky guy. Lol Does that count?

"You judge a prostitute and a cook by the price you must pay to have them. The most expensive they are, the better they perform their Art"
- Athenaeus

Illigitimi non carbarundum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:04 am 
Emeritus Staff

Yes, I have seen one... on my trip in America, I saw one while we were exiting Yosemite National Park (we were in a car). He/she was staring at me... not much of an encounter, but he/she was very pretty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:16 am 
STAFF
STAFF

Location: In my lair, where I gnaw the souls of disobedient posters
Not wild wolves in the wild, but I have seen a preserve pack and some wolves that were preparing for release last October :)

Wait. 20 and 20 and 20 is not 50!

Most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of being rich than face the reality of being poor. --from "1776"

There's a difference between the Electric Slide and a ballet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:46 pm 
Omega

I've never seen a wild one, but a couple months ago my grade went on a field trip to a Busch Gardens amusement park, and in the Germany section they had two wolves. If my friends hadn't dragged me away I would have used all the photos in my camera on them. :razz: And when we passed them for the second time, they were howling. :love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:29 pm 
Emeritus Staff

That is certainly a worth-while goal, that it is. I, too, have made it one of my major goals in life to see, track, and photograph wolves in the wild. Given proper permissions, of course. ^^;;

I have seen wolves in person... up close and personal, actually. :cheese: Last semester, back in October of 2005 I went with some peoplez here to a wolf preserve. There they had, as Uz said, red wolves ready to be released into the wild. We managed to get fairly close to some of the gray wolves, or the "ambassador wolves" as the preserve calls them. Actually, if you want to see some shots of them, go to my photography account on deviantART: Aneiphoto.

But then, a month later in November, I had a rather unique and unforgettable experience. There was a forum at my college where Mission: Wolf brought in some wolves to show the students. Me being me, I got there early and sat on the floor in front with a few others. lol... two wolves came in and were walked around the room... a few people got this and I was one: Raven, a black furred wolf, came by and slobbered me in the face! :cheese: That had to have been the most unforgettable moment of my life, that it was. :love: hehe... I have yet to have another experience like that, though. ^^;; But I can still feel the slobbery-ness. haha... it was great. =^_^=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:20 pm 
Alpha

I haven't seen wolves in the wild, althoug I have seen some in zoo's (Dutch zoo's are regulated), and have some lovely pictures of those (although those are all taken on film, and I don't own a scanner (sadly enhough))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:22 pm 
Alpha

I have seen wild wolves at Yellowstone and of course I know the ones at Wolf Hollow. One of dogs is half wolf too. :bone:

I want a snackpack. =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:27 pm 
Alpha

I wolves at a small zoo in Upstate New York. They were kept in teirrble conditons: Small, filthy, concrete floor cages. They were pacing and showing all the signs of cage syndorme. I stopped going to that zoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:05 pm 
Emeritus Staff

Only in capitivity, I'm afraid. When I was in Sweden, I really hoped to see some wild wolves, in spite of the guide told that it's a rare possibility.
I saw two stoats wrestling and I saw a lynx, I got to try a dog sledge, but didn't see any wolves. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:07 pm 
STAFF
STAFF

I haven't seen any in the wild before, (kind of need to be in the right countries :wink2: ) but, I have seen some in a Animal Park in Southern France in the mountains which wasn't like a zoo, but they were in an enclosure of sorts. I was stood there watching them for agesss. That was a great experience just watching such beautiful animals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 pm 
Alpha

*Is envious of everybody (except maybe CopperTail)* I had a similar bad experience a couple years ago in San Francisco. Ended up dragging the family clear across that nightmare of a city so that we could go to the zoo, thinking they would surely have a couple wolves. Unfortunately I was wrong about the wolves, and the zoo was a real dump. All the animals had terribly small cages and it looked as if they hardly cleaned them at all. So instead of a fun time we had a miserable time.

Anyway, I can?t wait to get back to the good Ol?US of A and see a real wolf. I think maybe Idaho would be the best place to go, or maybe up into Canada.

Our Father, who art in Krebari, hallowed be thy glass.Give us this day our daily splash, and forgive us our hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil…and somebody give us all a ride home-TW

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:15 pm 
Pup

I've seen several wolf-dog hybrids, a few "captive" wolves, and three wild wolves. Most of the wolves I've seen were at Wolf Hollow--cool place. I saw them at the edge of the woods after I howled (and the forest is definitely big enough to house a small pack). No, they weren't coyotes; I know the differences between coyotes and wolves. I had a friend with me, who screamed, and they took off.

Proof they weren't coyotes...well, they were big (not massive, but big), and I found their tracks a year or so after that, and the tracks were way too big to be coyote tracks. They went in a perfectly straight line, with long claws separated from the paw pads, so they weren't dog tracks. Also, coyotes don't tend to travel in packs.

And I saw a dead red wolf once, by the side of the road. :sad: (Not a red-colored wolf, I mean the species/subspecies)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:18 pm 
Pup

Ive seen wolves in wildlife parks and zoos, but the best experience was at Wolf Uk Trust. I went on one of their wolf walks and got to stroke the belly of the omega wolf. It was certainly a fantastic experience and i certainly would sugget them to anyone who lives in england and would like such an experience.
:love:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:35 pm 
Pup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusTrQB4 ... ed&search=
Found this youtube piece, :love: :love: :love: