Ethiopian Wolf

Talk about real wolves

Moderator: AWolf2B

Ethiopian Wolf

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:27 pm

I was doing a paper on the Rainforest and found a list of endagered species. On the list was the Ethiopian wolf, now my favorite type of wolf. It looks simialar to a Mexican wolf. They are really pretty and live (of course) in the Rainforest. Look one up (I lost the link) maybe add one in the film?

Desdemona
Emeritus Staff
November Challenge Goal: 0
November Challenge Type: frames
November Challenge Progress: 0

Post by Desdemona » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

All the characters for Wolf have already been decided on, and I doubt we'll be adding any-more :p

Snowy
Omega

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:26 am

Umm, Ethiopian wolves don't live in rainforests. They live in the mountains of Ethiopia (in Africa, nowhere near the setting of Wolf), which are high-altitude afro-alpine grasslands, a far cry from a rainforest. Also, they don't look very similar to the Mexican gray wolf -- a red wolf, maybe, but not a Mexican gray. In many ways they more closely resemble jackals, hence their other common names, including Ethiopian jackal and Simien jackal, prior to genetic analysis proving them to be wolves. I don't know which canid you're thinking about, but if it really is the Ethiopian wolf, than your sources were incredibly off.

http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=15

That's the Ethiopian wolf.
Thank you for passing through the mind of Snowy. Please wait for the car to come to a complete stop before proceeding towards the exit. Thank you.

Desdemona
Emeritus Staff

Post by Desdemona » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:14 am

It appears Snowy is correct :p I did a quick search and most of it agreed with her source...

PhantomsNight
Emeritus Staff

Post by PhantomsNight » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:24 am

They have pretty colors ^^

Really?

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:07 pm

You know, thats odd...Im going to go dig up that link again..I shall tell them they are wrong! Hehe..sorry, the one I saw was really pretty and really did look like a Mexican Gray...

Snowy
Omega

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:51 pm

Wildcard, no offense, but if you only got your information from a site on the internet, then that's not good research. I own multiple books that verify the information on the site I linked, with African Predators by Gus Mills and Martin Harvey being the best of them (it's published by the Smithsonian Institution Press, by the way), complete with ample photographs that show the Ethiopian wolf in the habitat described (afro-alpine grassland). Further, the maintainer of the site in question has a list of text references and links to several reputable sites to corroborate his information.

There are only a few canids that I can think of that you might be confused with. One is the misleadingly named maned wolf of the South American grasslands (again, not rainforest) and another is the dhole of the Indian and South Asian jungles (also not rainforest). Neither of these look like the Mexican gray, though. The only pack-hunting rainforest canid is the bush dog, which, with its short, rather stocky build and relatively plain coat couldn't be visually mistaken for a wolf at all.

I'm curious to see what website claimed the Ethiopian wolf was a rainforest species, especially since no wolf, by genetics or name, lives in that particular environment. If it has photos, we might be able to properly identify your new favorite species. Also, you might want to peruse the other canids listed on Lioncrusher's site to see if you can recognize by image what it is you're thinking of. If it's not there then, well, I couldn't tell you, since those are the wild species of the family Canidae, extant, endangered, and recently extinct.
Thank you for passing through the mind of Snowy. Please wait for the car to come to a complete stop before proceeding towards the exit. Thank you.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:42 pm

Hehe, I agree. Very purty colors. ^-^

Grey-Wolf
Beta

Post by Grey-Wolf » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:05 am

Well it don't matter now. The ethopian wolf is now extinct... :(
Damn those humans...
"God Show me the Way
Cause the Devils Trying to break me down!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snowy
Omega

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:21 pm

Well it don't matter now. The ethopian wolf is now extinct... :(
Damn those humans...

Where'd that information come from? Yes, the Ethiopian wolf is critically endangered, but last I heard of the matter it was still hanging on. And before you go condemning humanity, bear in mind that hybridization with feral domestic dogs constitutes one of the greatest (if not the greatest) threats to the species, not hunting or similar persecution. If the Ethiopian wolf has truly gone extinct, then it's not because of humans killing the last one but because the genetic uniqueness of the species has been eliminated through cross-breeding.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:31 pm

Would does suck is wolves are turned into domestic parasites that can't act or live independently, also their aperence would dimished by being forcefully mixed with a dog.

Back to the Ethopian wolf, I ponder how one would make its way to... where is the location of this story?

But I do wonder what if it did? And how it did.

GreyWolf
Emeritus Staff

Post by GreyWolf » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:16 pm

The Ethiopian wolf is definately unique...sad that so much has happened to cause it to be so far up the extinction scale....from the sounds of it, as above mentioned, it may well just get bred out of existence, along with several other species of wolf. humans are not the only cause of wolf exctinction, though humans are making a rather large dent through all of the conservation efforts.
~*~ Dreams soar on the wings of imagination~*~

If I wanted to see their underwear, I would personally pull their pants down! ~ GreyWolf